Bullrun Power house
1 of 15
Slideshow-prev-disabled Slideshow-next
Construction on the Bull Run Powerhouse
2 of 15
Slideshow-prev Slideshow-next

Construction on the Bull Run Powerhouse began in 1909 and was completed in 1912.

Bull Run Powerhouse
3 of 15
Slideshow-prev Slideshow-next

At its peak, the powerhouse generated 30 MW of electricity, enough to power 12,000 homes in the nearby town of Bull Run.

Powerhouse 4
5 of 15
Slideshow-prev Slideshow-next

After the Marmot Dam was removed and Lake Rosyln was drained in 2008, the powerhouse at Bull Run was marked for historical preservation.

Powerhouse 5
6 of 15
Slideshow-prev Slideshow-next

Historic preservationist Jeff Joslin partnered with local investors to purchase the building along with the drained Lake Rosyln from PGE for $615,000.

Powerhouse 7
8 of 15
Slideshow-prev Slideshow-next

Today, abandoned buildings like this are the only remaining evidence that powerhouse once served a thriving community.

Powerhouse 10
11 of 15
Slideshow-prev Slideshow-next
Powerhouse 11
12 of 15
Slideshow-prev Slideshow-next
Powerhouse 12
13 of 15
Slideshow-prev Slideshow-next

Old generators stand silent in the powerhouse.

Powerhouse 13
14 of 15
Slideshow-prev Slideshow-next
Powerhouse 14
15 of 15
Slideshow-prev Slideshow-next-disabled

Joslin and his partners hope to convert the site into an interpretive site to help visitors understand Portland’s tightly intertwined natural and industrial histories.

Bullrun Power house
Construction on the Bull Run Powerhouse
Bull Run Powerhouse
Powerhouse 3
Powerhouse 4
Powerhouse 5
Slideshow-next
Powerhouse 6
Powerhouse 7
Powerhouse 8
Powerhouse 9
Powerhouse 10
Powerhouse 11
Slideshow-prev Slideshow-next
Powerhouse 12
Powerhouse 13
Powerhouse 14
Slideshow-prev

Please help us keep this community civil. We retain the right to remove or edit comments containing personal attacks or excessive profanity, and comments unrelated to the editorial content. Consult our Terms of Use for more details.