Portland Monthly is seeking smart, energetic, talented people to fill the positions below. See what it takes to join our team.
SagaCity Media Inc. is the parent company of Seattle Met, Portland Monthly, Aspen Sojourner, Park City Magazine, Vail-Beaver Creek Magazine, Portland Bride & Groom, Seattle Met Bride & Groom, and other custom and editorial publications. Looking for an individual who likes being around creative individuals that has an energetic personality with accounting skills to join our team.
POSITION DESCRIPTION & TASKS
Reporting to the Controller, you would be responsible for:
• Assisting with internal and external reporting
• Oversee accounts payable
• Weekly payroll processing
• Ensure timeliness of month end close and GAAP Compliance
• General ledger reconciliations and entries
• Comply with local reporting requirements and tax filings
• Provides account variance analysis
• Compiles monthly financial statements, including but not limited to; P&L, balance sheet, and income statement
• Assists with managerial reporting: including variance analysis, projections and budgeting.
• Cash flow analysis
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
Education: 4-year college degree in Accounting is required.
Experience: Minimum 3-5 years of Accounting Experience. Prior management experience is highly desirable.
Computer Skills: Intermediate experience in Microsoft Office Suite with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, prior experience with Microsoft Dynamics is a plus.
Communication: Strong customer service and business communication skills, including verbal and written communications.
Other: Highly organized and self-motivated, able to juggle multiple tasks/priorities, can learn and adapt quickly and work independently. Experience working in the private sector.
Please send cover letter, résumé, and PDFs or links to relevant samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Senior Accountant" in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
ASSOCIATE ART DIRECTOR, PORTLAND MONTHLY MAGAZINE, PORTLAND, OR
SagaCity Media has an immediate opening in its Portland office for an ASSOCIATE ART DIRECTOR to work on a monthly publication dedicated to exceptional editorial and design. The position will report to the Art Director.
We are seeking a highly creative and energetic person whose responsibilities will vary, but include designing departments, features, and occasional covers. Duties include assigning, producing, or sourcing photography and illustration; designing magazine pages; developing maps, charts, and other information graphics as needed; and overseeing Portland Monthly’s brand extension in the digital space. Candidates must have a keen design eye, exceptional typographic skills, and fastidious attention to detail. Candidates must also be able to manage workflow with firm deadlines and be in daily collaboration with internal editorial staff. The ideal candidate will have exceptional organizational skills and be zealous about producing compelling and innovative editorial design in a fast-paced workplace.
Qualified candidates should have 3 years experience art directing or designing for consumer magazines, or equivalent agency art directing experience, as well as demonstrable experience managing budgets and directing photo shoots. Best candidates will have a bachelor’s degree in graphic design or similar field.
Education and technical background must include mastery of Adobe Creative Suite, extensive knowledge and stylish use of type, photography, and illustration, and experience with art commissioning, photo directing, and editing. Extra points for illustration/photography chops.
Please send cover letter, résumé, and PDFs or links to relevant samples to email@example.com and put “Associate Art Director” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Portland Monthly is an award-winning publication dedicated to the highest editorial and design standards, based in one of the nation’s most exciting cities. Portland Monthly is the top-selling magazine in the greater Portland metropolitan area, and has won many awards including General Excellence from the City and Regional Magazine Association, Folio, Communication Arts, and multiple Society of Professional Journalists awards. Portland Monthly is published by Sagacity Media Inc., which also publishes Portland Bride and Groom, Seattle Metropolitan, Seattle Met Bride and Groom, Houstonia, and more.
AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR, SAGACITY MEDIA, PORTLAND, OR
SagaCity Media is looking for a full-time Audience Development Director to perform a wide variety of tasks related to the circulation for the following print and digital-edition products: Portland Monthly, Seattle Met, Houstonia, Seattle Met Bride & Groom, Portland Bride & Groom, Salt Lake/Park City Bride & Groom, Aspen Sojourner, Vail-Beaver Creek, Park City magazine and Colorado Summit. These tasks include managing a circulation budget, print orders, forecasting, newsstand promotions, tracking and analysis, circulation database management and development, and all subscriber acquisition and retention strategies. This position also maintains the relationships with our fulfillment house and national distributor. Distribution planning and strategies are required for our custom publishing titles as well. The ideal candidate will be a creative problem solver and strategic thinker who is self-motivated, well organized and proactive, with exceptional communication skills.
The Audience Development Director is part of a three-person Audience Development team responsible for our audiences in print, digital, social media, web, newsletters and more. The qualified candidate will collaborate with other team members cross-promoting products between print and web, assisting with monetization strategies, developing distribution/marketing plans for new product launches and existing product enhancements. The position reports to the Director of Print and Digital Publishing.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform traditional circulation tasks: print orders, audits, budgets, circulation marketing (ALL titles).
- Oversee all Digital-edition platforms, Zinio, Pixel Mags, DPS.
- Find, track, organize and grow our audiences in print and digital editions. Ensure that these audiences are readily available to the brands and to the company as a whole so that they can be targeted for revenue generation.
- Develop accurate and achievable circulation budgets in concert with the President, Publishers and Department Director.
- Ensure that all audits, publisher statements, press runs and other audience-related reports are accurate and submitted by the established deadlines.
- Submit budget adjustments as forecasts dictate.
- Works with the Publishers, Ad Directors and other team members on the following:
- Ensure the brands’ audiences are accurately reflected and fully maximized for revenue generation in Media Kits and sales tools.
- Create and implement new ways to continually grow ad clients and prospects
- Work with the Publishers, Marketing Directors and team members on the following:
- Develop strategic subscription/single-copy campaigns.
- Increase newsstand (both print and digital) awareness and revenues.
- Monitor subscription and single-copy sales and expenses and adjust accordingly.
- Ensure that the subscriber online user-interface is easily navigated, secure and in keeping with standard online consumer expectations and behavior.
- Other responsibilities as the market and business dictate.
SagaCity Media is an award-winning multimedia publishing company dedicated to the highest standards in editorial and design. SagaCity Media publishes monthly magazines Houstonia, Seattle Met and Portland Monthly which are top-selling magazines in their markets and have won numerous awards for excellence. These magazines’ custom-built companion websites, daily blogs, and weekly e-newsletters, which attract more than 550,000 unique visitors a month, are a go-to destination for what is happening in our cities. Our other proprietary multimedia titles include regional magazines in Colorado and Utah and bridal publications in three states. SagaCity Media also produces publications for a wide range of custom clients in five states, primarily in the tourism category.
Send a cover letter, resume, three references, and your salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org and put "Audience Development Director" in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Junior Digital Account Executive
Portland Monthly Magazine is seeking seeking an ambitious, highly motivated, self-starter to join our Advertising Sales team as a Junior Digital Account Executive. The ideal candidate will have 1–2 years of sales experience with strong and persuasive closing abilities. Excellent communication skills are a must. You will be challenged to sell print, digital, and event sponsorships across multiple platforms.
The Junior Digital Account Executive will report directly to the associate publisher and the sales and marketing director. This position will be responsible for managing and maintaining pre-existing accounts, generating new sales leads and opportunities, developing new agency and client relationships, preparing and presenting proposals, closing business, and hitting aggressive monthly sales goals.
The ideal candidate would have a degree with a focus in communications, marketing, or advertising—with a desire to have a career in the field of sales/marketing.
• 1–2 years advertising sales experience
• Established client relationships at a junior level
• Computer literate: Good understanding of programs such as Excel and PowerPoint. Adobe InDesign a plus
• Has transportation and valid driver’s license
• Consultative selling experience a must
• Advanced communication skills — making sales calls, strong written skills, leveraging marketing materials, traffic and inventory, setting and meeting goals, time management, negotiating, problem solving, and decision making
• Highly organized, responsible, self-motivated, and results-driven
• Ability to work independently but take direction when required
• Working knowledge of digital sales required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
• Salary based on experience.
• Benefits include medical, dental insurance, retirement savings, paid holidays, and personal days.
Portland Monthly is an award-winning publication dedicated to the highest standards in editorial and design, based in one of the nation’s most desirable places to live. Portland Monthly is the top-selling magazine in the greater Portland metropolitan area, having won many awards including General Excellence from the City and Regional Magazine Association, Folio, Communication Arts, and multiple Society of Professional Journalists awards. Portland Monthly is published by Sagacity Media Inc., which also publishes Portland Bride and Groom, Seattle Metropolitan, Seattle Met Bride and Groom, and more.
Please submit cover letter and resume to
Greta Hogenstad at email@example.com
No phone calls please.
SALES AND MARKETING INTERN
Portland Monthly Magazine is currently seeking a bright and motivated sales and marketing intern to assist in our fast-paced and energetic advertising department. The position requires a minimum of 15 hours a week in four- to five-hour stints. The duration of this unpaid internship is generally 12 to 16 weeks, depending on the needs/schedule of the candidate. We are flexible with student schedules during the academic year, and the internship can be used to fulfill school credit.
ADVERTISING SALES RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
• Media tracking
• Creating, updating and assembling sales materials
• Assisting account executives with various projects
• Compiling and managing advertising databases
• Marketing collateral distribution
• Assisting with sales/marketing events
• Assist marketing dept with the creation, execution and wrap-up of special projects
• Background, focus and/or interest in marketing and analysis
• Heightened ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Detail-oriented, responsible and self-motivated with excellent computer and communication skills
• Proficiency in Outlook, Word and Excel are mandatory.
The ideal candidate will be working toward a bachelor's degree in publishing, advertising, marketing/PR, business, or communications. Must have experience working with Word and Excel and be a master at multitasking, experience with Adobe creative suite, a plus.
We accept applications on a rolling basis for all terms (winter, spring, summer, fall).To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.
EVENT MARKETING INTERNS
Portland Monthly is seeking interns to gain event marketing experience including event production and promotion.
Applicants must be energetic, dependable, outgoing and possess strong communication and computer skills. We train, but expect our interns to hit the ground running.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WOULD:
• Have a background, focus and/or interest in advertising, marketing or communications.
• Have heightened ability to multi-task and prioritize.
• Be detail-oriented, responsible and self-motivated with excellent computer and communication skills.
• Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint are mandatory.
• Assist in planning, coordination and execution of client campaigns including social media marketing and contests
• Assist in the planning, execution and management of marketing/events
• Assist in inquiries (phone, email, mail, in-person at events) and responses
• Research and analyze the current media market and areas for potential growth
• Update client advertising details and information
• Assist Account Executives with presentations, meeting preparation, and creation of sales materials.
Must be able to lift up to 30+lbs. Must posses a valid driver’s license and be authorized to work in the U.S. for any company.
This is an unpaid position with college credit opportunities that requires a commitment of a minimum of 20 hours per week. Due to the nature of events, some weekend and evening hours are required.
Please send a cover letter and resume via email to:
Connie Apa, Marketing Events Manager
No phone calls please.
We hire editorial interns on a rotating basis throughout the year, and are constantly on the hunt for bright, diligent and ambitious applicants.
The internship is unpaid but we offer college credit to enrolled students who request it. While we try to be flexible with student schedules during the academic year, the internship requires a firm commitment of 20 hours per week, 5 days a week. Typically, internships last 3 to 6 months.
We train, but expect our interns to hit the ground running. Duties include fact-checking articles, assisting editors with research and reporting, and writing short news stories. We expect and encourage interns to be a part of the team by contributing their own ideas, attending meetings, and getting to know the editorial staff.
Successful candidates will be detail-oriented, responsible, well-read, curious, and knowledgeable about the city. We prefer journalism, communications, English, and history students, particularly those who are active with campus publications and are interested in a career in journalism. You do not need to be a current student to apply, but we can offer college credit.
Start and end dates vary with the needs and flexibility of the magazine, but generally we hire new interns seasonally (Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter). Please note in your cover letter for which term you are applying and your availability to work during the week.
To apply, send the cover letter, a résumé with references, and three (3) excellent writing samples to:
Marty Patail, Research Editor
No phone calls, please.
WEB EDITORIAL INTERNS
We are currently seeking smart and outgoing editorial web interns for fall term, 2014. The position requires 20 hours a week in 4 to 5 hour stints, 4 or 5 days a week. We are flexible with student schedules during the academic year.
Applications for summer internships will be accepted until all positions are filled. We also accept applications on a rolling basis for fall, winter, spring.
Web interns are responsible for uploading magazine content to our website using our content management system; writing original content for the site, including blogs and events listings; assisting editors in conceptualizing and executing web exclusives such as slide shows and video/audio content; participating in team brainstorming meetings; and assisting with some administrative tasks.
Web interns should be web savvy, but not web obsessed. We’re looking for self starters that bring a keen interest in the city to the table. Demonstrated interest in a range of cultural topics, especially food and drink, arts and culture, current news and events, is a plus. We value a willingness to pitch in, detail-oriented thinking, diligent fact checking, and the ability to do the heavy lifting of data entry with grace and aplomb.
Web interns have the opportunity to write for the magazine as needed and pitch stories for the magazine, but their primary job function is to administer our website, which is updated daily. Web interns proving successful on shorter writing assignments may have the opportunity to contribute to and write departments and features for the magazine.
The ideal candidate will be a recent graduate or working toward a bachelor’s degree in English, literature, journalism, or creative writing. Our internship candidates also commonly have previous editorial experiences (at school newspapers, journals, magazines, etc.), strong interests in magazine writing, and the ability to juggle several assignments at once. Experience with InDesign, Photoshop, and content management systems is helpful but not required.
To apply, send résumé and any additional materials to:
Allison Jones, Web Editor