Portland Monthly is seeking smart, energetic, talented people to fill the positions below. See what it takes to join our team.
SagaCity Media Inc. is the parent company of Seattle Met, Portland Monthly, Aspen Sojourner, Park City Magazine, Vail-Beaver Creek Magazine, Portland Bride & Groom, Seattle Met Bride & Groom, and other custom and editorial publications. Looking for an individual who likes being around creative individuals that has an energetic personality with accounting skills to join our team.
POSITION DESCRIPTION & TASKS
Reporting to the Controller, you would be responsible for:
• Assisting with internal and external reporting
• Oversee accounts payable
• Weekly payroll processing
• Ensure timeliness of month end close and GAAP Compliance
• General ledger reconciliations and entries
• Comply with local reporting requirements and tax filings
• Provides account variance analysis
• Compiles monthly financial statements, including but not limited to; P&L, balance sheet, and income statement
• Assists with managerial reporting: including variance analysis, projections and budgeting.
• Cash flow analysis
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
Education: 4-year college degree in Accounting is required.
Experience: Minimum 3-5 years of Accounting Experience. Prior management experience is highly desirable.
Computer Skills: Intermediate experience in Microsoft Office Suite with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, prior experience with Microsoft Dynamics is a plus.
Communication: Strong customer service and business communication skills, including verbal and written communications.
Other: Highly organized and self-motivated, able to juggle multiple tasks/priorities, can learn and adapt quickly and work independently. Experience working in the private sector.
Please send cover letter, résumé, and PDFs or links to relevant samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Senior Accountant" in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
SALES AND MARKETING INTERN
Portland Monthly Magazine is currently seeking a bright and motivated sales and marketing intern to assist in our fast-paced and energetic advertising department. The position requires a minimum of 15 hours a week in four- to five-hour stints. The duration of this unpaid internship is generally 12 to 16 weeks, depending on the needs/schedule of the candidate. We are flexible with student schedules during the academic year, and the internship can be used to fulfill school credit.
ADVERTISING SALES RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
• Media tracking
• Creating, updating and assembling sales materials
• Assisting account executives with various projects
• Compiling and managing advertising databases
• Marketing collateral distribution
• Assisting with sales/marketing events
• Assist marketing dept with the creation, execution and wrap-up of special projects
• Background, focus and/or interest in marketing and analysis
• Heightened ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Detail-oriented, responsible and self-motivated with excellent computer and communication skills
• Proficiency in Outlook, Word and Excel are mandatory.
The ideal candidate will be working toward a bachelor's degree in publishing, advertising, marketing/PR, business, or communications. Must have experience working with Word and Excel and be a master at multitasking, experience with Adobe creative suite, a plus.
We accept applications on a rolling basis for all terms (winter, spring, summer, fall).To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
No phone calls please.
EVENT MARKETING INTERNS
Portland Monthly is seeking interns to gain event marketing experience including event production and promotion.
Applicants must be energetic, dependable, outgoing and possess strong communication and computer skills. We train, but expect our interns to hit the ground running.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WOULD:
• Have a background, focus and/or interest in advertising, marketing or communications.
• Have heightened ability to multi-task and prioritize.
• Be detail-oriented, responsible and self-motivated with excellent computer and communication skills.
• Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint are mandatory.
• Assist in planning, coordination and execution of client campaigns including social media marketing and contests
• Assist in the planning, execution and management of marketing/events
• Assist in inquiries (phone, email, mail, in-person at events) and responses
• Research and analyze the current media market and areas for potential growth
• Update client advertising details and information
• Assist Account Executives with presentations, meeting preparation, and creation of sales materials.
Must be able to lift up to 30+lbs. Must posses a valid driver’s license and be authorized to work in the U.S. for any company.
This is an unpaid position with college credit opportunities that requires a commitment of a minimum of 20 hours per week. Due to the nature of events, some weekend and evening hours are required.
Please send a cover letter and resume via email to:
Connie Apa, Marketing Events Manager
No phone calls please.
We hire editorial interns on a rotating basis throughout the year, and are constantly on the hunt for bright, diligent and ambitious applicants.
The internship is unpaid but we offer college credit to enrolled students who request it. While we try to be flexible with student schedules during the academic year, the internship requires a firm commitment of 20 hours per week, 5 days a week. Typically, internships last 3 to 6 months.
We train, but expect our interns to hit the ground running. Duties include fact-checking articles, assisting editors with research and reporting, and writing short news stories. We expect and encourage interns to be a part of the team by contributing their own ideas, attending meetings, and getting to know the editorial staff.
Successful candidates will be detail-oriented, responsible, well-read, curious, and knowledgeable about the city. We prefer journalism, communications, English, and history students, particularly those who are active with campus publications and are interested in a career in journalism. You do not need to be a current student to apply, but we can offer college credit.
Start and end dates vary with the needs and flexibility of the magazine, but generally we hire new interns seasonally (Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter). Please note in your cover letter for which term you are applying and your availability to work during the week.
To apply, send the cover letter, a résumé with references, and three (3) excellent writing samples to:
Ramona DeNies, Assistant Editor
No phone calls, please.
WEB EDITORIAL INTERNS
We are currently seeking smart and outgoing editorial web interns for fall term, 2014. The position requires 20 hours a week in 4 to 5 hour stints, 4 or 5 days a week. We are flexible with student schedules during the academic year.
Applications for summer internships will be accepted until all positions are filled. We also accept applications on a rolling basis for fall, winter, spring.
Web interns are responsible for uploading magazine content to our website using our content management system; writing original content for the site, including blogs and events listings; assisting editors in conceptualizing and executing web exclusives such as slide shows and video/audio content; participating in team brainstorming meetings; and assisting with some administrative tasks.
Web interns should be web savvy, but not web obsessed. We’re looking for self starters that bring a keen interest in the city to the table. Demonstrated interest in a range of cultural topics, especially food and drink, arts and culture, current news and events, is a plus. We value a willingness to pitch in, detail-oriented thinking, diligent fact checking, and the ability to do the heavy lifting of data entry with grace and aplomb.
Web interns have the opportunity to write for the magazine as needed and pitch stories for the magazine, but their primary job function is to administer our website, which is updated daily. Web interns proving successful on shorter writing assignments may have the opportunity to contribute to and write departments and features for the magazine.
The ideal candidate will be a recent graduate or working toward a bachelor’s degree in English, literature, journalism, or creative writing. Our internship candidates also commonly have previous editorial experiences (at school newspapers, journals, magazines, etc.), strong interests in magazine writing, and the ability to juggle several assignments at once. Experience with InDesign, Photoshop, and content management systems is helpful but not required.
To apply, send résumé and any additional materials to:
Allison Jones, Web Editor