William Byrd Festival: Hear the Voice and Prayer
The 17th annual installment of this festival celebrating the English Renaissance composer features lecturers and guest directors from around the country and from Byrd's homeland, anchored by local sacred polyphony specialists Cantores in Ecclesia.
This opening performance will include eight solo voices performing works by Byrd; an earlier composer, Thomas Tallis; and successors of the two, including Orlando Gibbons. Among the earliest in English-language sacred music, the works range from serious to joyful. King's College London organist David Trendell conducts, accompanied by the director of music at Jesus College Cambridge, Mark Williams.
- How Portland's Cost of Living (and Beer) Compares to Major U.S. Cities
- A Peek at PDX Airport’s New Carpet
- Portland's Best Schools, Ranked and Rated
- A New Food Lover's Market to Open Next to The Ocean's Microeateries
- The Last Energy Bar Recipe You'll Ever Need
- Fitmob's All-You-Can-Sweat Fitness Passport Comes to PDX
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- The 10 Most Anticipated Restaurant Openings of 2015