William Byrd Festival: Hear the Voice and Prayer
The 17th annual installment of this festival celebrating the English Renaissance composer features lecturers and guest directors from around the country and from Byrd's homeland, anchored by local sacred polyphony specialists Cantores in Ecclesia.
This opening performance will include eight solo voices performing works by Byrd; an earlier composer, Thomas Tallis; and successors of the two, including Orlando Gibbons. Among the earliest in English-language sacred music, the works range from serious to joyful. King's College London organist David Trendell conducts, accompanied by the director of music at Jesus College Cambridge, Mark Williams.
- Where Do Portland's Best Chefs Eat on their Own Time?
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: Oct 23–25
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Checking in with Portland's Tiny House Hotel
- Three Reasons To Try Café Castagna’s New Middle East Brunch
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- The Ultimate Guide to Portland's Teahouses
- Q&A: Getting R-Rated with SNL's Norm MacDonald