William Byrd Festival: Hear the Voice and Prayer
The 17th annual installment of this festival celebrating the English Renaissance composer features lecturers and guest directors from around the country and from Byrd's homeland, anchored by local sacred polyphony specialists Cantores in Ecclesia.
This opening performance will include eight solo voices performing works by Byrd; an earlier composer, Thomas Tallis; and successors of the two, including Orlando Gibbons. Among the earliest in English-language sacred music, the works range from serious to joyful. King's College London organist David Trendell conducts, accompanied by the director of music at Jesus College Cambridge, Mark Williams.
- Portlander's Dog Film Breaks the Internet's Heart
- Toby Froud’s New Puppet Film Returns Us to the Magical World of ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘The Dark Crystal’
- 8 Great Northwest Swimming Holes
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- How Much Pressure is Too Much Pressure in a Massage?
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: June 18–21
- The 10 Best New Brunches in Portland
- Which Northwest Summer Festival Is Too Naked For You?