Twist Your Dickens
If any local theater company understands that there’s demand in Portland for nontraditional Christmas shows, it’s Portland Center Stage: this is the fifth consecutive year the company is presenting David Sedaris’s caustic The Santaland Diaries. “The thing just keeps going,” says PCS artistic director Chris Coleman. “Maybe Portlanders want something sideways and snarky at Christmas.” Coleman tests that hypothesis further this holiday season by bringing famed improv group Second City’s rendition of A Christmas Carol to PCS’s main stage. Each performance of Twist Your Dickens is roughly 30 percent improvisation and features revolving local guests—but Coleman claims he isn’t nervous. “I think it’ll be fun,” he says, “but I’m sure there will be a fair amount of hysteria.”
We review the show from the viewpoints of both Tiny Tim and Scrooge.
- Portland’s Best Bars 2014
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- PDX Reveals New Lineup of Restaurants and Shops
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- You Can Start Planning Your Trip to Iceland
- Like Almost Famous? Come Watch It With the REAL Pennie Lane!
- Bunk’s Tommy Habetz to Launch Moon Pizza this Winter
- Lil’ Wayne “Wins” Battle With Drake, Lays His Claim To Portland