The Road to Mecca
Profile Theatre’s mission is unique: choose one playwright per season and stage a series of his or her works. This season showcases Athol Fugard, the legendary South African playwright whose staunchly political works were a potent weapon in the fight against apartheid.
The Road to Mecca, about a widowed sculptor who defies her neighbors’ pressure to abandon her eccentric works and move into a nursing home, seems much less political on the surface. But the apartheid it deals with is a creative one—the widow is kept separate from her community for her scorned artistic pursuit. The award-winning play’s “revelation is overwhelming,” according to the New York Times. The production will be Profile’s first to be directed by new artistic director Adriana Baer, who hails from San Francisco’s Cutting Ball Theater. What more fitting challenge for a new creative head than a play about the indomitable will to make art.
- Portland’s Best Bars 2014
- Toby, the Baby from Labyrinth, Grows Up to Be a Goblin King—in Portland
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Like Almost Famous? Come Watch It With the REAL Pennie Lane!
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- Oregon's Best State Parks
- Oregon's Best State Parks for Day Trippers
- PDX Reveals New Lineup of Restaurants and Shops