The Playboy of the Western World
This Irish car bomb of a comedy caused nationalist riots after its 1907 premiere and has since become one of the most significant plays of the 20th century, leading the export of Irish theater to the world. It’s rarely staged, and Artists Rep is pulling out all the stops in a production that seems to feature half of Portland’s best actors. "This production is a true theatrical treat..." Read our full review.
Playboy is one of four Irish plays opening in May and June, offering a local PhD of sorts in Irish Lit. That’s a lot of craic to take in, however, so if you’re feeling a bit out of your depth, here are a few things to know about Irish theatrical tradition to help you make sense of it all.
- The Big One: A Northwest Earthquake Survival Guide
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- The 10 Best New Brunches in Portland
- Pearl District Pastry Haven Nuvrei Gets a Tasty Makeover
- Holy Cow! Portland Bridges by Drone!
- Forest Park Guide: The Best Hikes
- Beer and Hiking...A Match Made in Heaven!
- Portland's 10 Best Salads