When we asked Pulitzer finalist Amy Freed why she chose to premiere her new play, The Monster-Builder, at the relatively small regional theater ART, she told us, “A good, representative production in a small theater is a lot better for a premiere than a mishandled production in a more prominent theater.” The comedy, about an egomaniacal “starchitect,” is one of a bumper crop of shows that debut during the Fertile Ground festival of new works. Directed by nationally acclaimed director Art Manke and starring Oregon Shakespeare Festival actors Michael Elich and Robin Nordli (i.e. this is a power-packed production!)
Read our full interview with Freed.
Read our full review of the play.
- Best Bets for Portland Dining Month
- A Guide to Portland's Mac & Cheese Scene
- The Oscars Red Carpet Highs and Lows
- Inside Woodstock's Fishermen-Owned Portland Fish Market
- Death Becomes Her
- Portland's 10 Best Restaurants of 2014
- The Beautiful Machine: Exploring the Gyrotonic Movement System in PDX
- Toby Froud’s New Puppet Film Returns Us to the Magical World of ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘The Dark Crystal’