The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld
Released after a six-publisher bidding war, Portland writer Rene Denfeld’s debut novel, The Enchanted, delves into the life of a death-row prisoner who perceives magic all around him in his solitary cell. The author of three nonfictions books, Denfeld works by day as a dealth-penalty investigator, seeking to uncover the “why” of unspeakable crimes to save convicts from walking the final mile. The Enchanted channels this real-world setting into an unflinching, magical-realist tale of the beauty that still manages to persist even in the darkest places.
Read our profile of Denfeld in our Spring Arts Preview.
- Toby Froud’s New Puppet Film Returns Us to the Magical World of ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘The Dark Crystal’
- Best Bets for Portland Dining Month
- Inside Woodstock's Fishermen-Owned Portland Fish Market
- A Guide to Portland's Mac & Cheese Scene
- Portland's 10 Best Restaurants of 2014
- Portlanders Share Stories of Their Worst Dates Ever
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Fitmob's All-You-Can-Sweat Fitness Passport Comes to PDX