The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld
Released after a six-publisher bidding war, Portland writer Rene Denfeld’s debut novel, The Enchanted, delves into the life of a death-row prisoner who perceives magic all around him in his solitary cell. The author of three nonfictions books, Denfeld works by day as a dealth-penalty investigator, seeking to uncover the “why” of unspeakable crimes to save convicts from walking the final mile. The Enchanted channels this real-world setting into an unflinching, magical-realist tale of the beauty that still manages to persist even in the darkest places.
Read our profile of Denfeld in our Spring Arts Preview.
- Ursula K. Le Guin Burns Down the National Book Awards
- Portland's 10 Best Restaurants of 2014
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: Nov 20–23
- Cheryl Strayed Talks About Filming 'Wild' with Reese Witherspoon (And Meeting Channing Tatum)
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- Oregon's 50 Best Wines 2014
- A New Mayan Restaurant Is Taking Over Little T Every Sunday