Shostakovich's Violin Concerto no. 2
Aptly, a Russian violin virtuoso, Mikhail Simonyan, will lead the symphony in performing his compatriot’s final concerto. Although rarer than Shostakovich’s first violin concerto, the piece still bears the much-censored Soviet-era composer’s melodically innovative, softly mocking signature. Eugene Tzigane, the Northwest German Philharmonic’s chief conductor, fills in for Carlos Kalmar.
- Nong Slays Competition to Win Chopped
- Ultimate Summer Day Trips
- Guide to 2014 Summer Concerts and Festivals
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Nong to Compete on Chopped "Food Truck Fight"
- 8 Great Northwest Swimming Holes
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- Maurice is One of Bon Appétit's Top 10 New Restaurants in America