Shostakovich's Violin Concerto no. 2
Aptly, a Russian violin virtuoso, Mikhail Simonyan, will lead the symphony in performing his compatriot’s final concerto. Although rarer than Shostakovich’s first violin concerto, the piece still bears the much-censored Soviet-era composer’s melodically innovative, softly mocking signature. Eugene Tzigane, the Northwest German Philharmonic’s chief conductor, fills in for Carlos Kalmar.
- Where Do Portland's Best Chefs Eat on their Own Time?
- The Houseboat Life
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- Q&A: Getting R-Rated with SNL's Norm MacDonald
- Three Reasons To Try Café Castagna’s New Middle East Brunch
- 2014's Fresh Harvest of Fall Pastries
- Tripster: Weekend Plans