Shostakovich's Violin Concerto no. 2
Aptly, a Russian violin virtuoso, Mikhail Simonyan, will lead the symphony in performing his compatriot’s final concerto. Although rarer than Shostakovich’s first violin concerto, the piece still bears the much-censored Soviet-era composer’s melodically innovative, softly mocking signature. Eugene Tzigane, the Northwest German Philharmonic’s chief conductor, fills in for Carlos Kalmar.
- Portland Neighborhoods By The Numbers: Where to Buy in 2015
- Inside P.R.E.A.M.’s Pizza Party HQ
- Bend’s Plant-Based Burger Joint Hits Hawthorne
- Bean Heaven at Cup & Bar: Where Coffee and Chocolate Collide
- Portland Farmers Market's New Vendors and Neighborhood Opening Dates
- Inside the North Portland Shop Where Everything Is Free
- "3 Things I Learned Opening A PDX Doughnut Shop in Japan"
- Trail of the Month: Mosier Plateau