Rontoms's Valentine's Day Rock 'n' Roll Prom
Guys, slick back your duck tails; dolls, don those bobby socks: it's Rontoms's fourth annual Valentine's Day Rock 'n' Roll Prom. The Lower East Burnside bar, whose free "Sunday Sessions" shows are an epicenter of Portland's music scene, every February 14 applies its impeccable taste toward throwing this retro dance party featuring music from local bands and DJs. Playing tunes from the '50s and '60s won't be much of a stretch for this year's entertainment: DJ Cooky Parker, best known for his "In the Cooky Jar" soul nights, is a walking, record-spinning encyclopedia of that era's music, and early-rock quintet Monarques, whose 2012 album Let's Make Love Come True made many local year-end lists, is Portland's premier purveyor of Buddy Holly nostalgia.
Watch a video of Monarques performing at last year's Rock 'n' Roll Prom:
- Where Do Portland's Best Chefs Eat on their Own Time?
- The Houseboat Life
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- Q&A: Getting R-Rated with SNL's Norm MacDonald
- Three Reasons To Try Café Castagna’s New Middle East Brunch
- 2014's Fresh Harvest of Fall Pastries
- Tripster: Weekend Plans