R3: An Anatomical Study of Humanity
The Portland Experimental Theatre Ensemble, a newcomer to local stages, reenvisions Shakespeare’s blood-spattered political drama Richard III from the perspectives of its disempowered female characters. The Fertile Ground Festival world premiere is directed by New York’s Gisela Cardenas and features local talent like Gretchen Corbett and Rebecca Lingafelter.
What we said: "This reimagining of Richard’s journey through manipulation and murder to England’s throne unsettles the audience’s remembrance of the classic text in a sinister, mesmerizing way, playing up the macabre with a barren, almost dystopian set and unusual use of props. But ultimately it loses itself in the convoluted heft of the story." Read our review of R3.
- The 10 Best New Brunches in Portland
- Portland Gets Its First Dedicated Bone Broth Bar
- 22 Reasons Why You Need to Be in Bend This Summer
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: Apr 30–May 3
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- Getting to the Heart of a Local Fashion Photographer's Laid-Back Style
- Indulgent Portland Bar Food for Every Alt-Diet