R3: An Anatomical Study of Humanity
The Portland Experimental Theatre Ensemble, a newcomer to local stages, reenvisions Shakespeare’s blood-spattered political drama Richard III from the perspectives of its disempowered female characters. The Fertile Ground Festival world premiere is directed by New York’s Gisela Cardenas and features local talent like Gretchen Corbett and Rebecca Lingafelter.
What we said: "This reimagining of Richard’s journey through manipulation and murder to England’s throne unsettles the audience’s remembrance of the classic text in a sinister, mesmerizing way, playing up the macabre with a barren, almost dystopian set and unusual use of props. But ultimately it loses itself in the convoluted heft of the story." Read our review of R3.
- A Bigger Portland is On Its Way—And Here's What It Will Look Like
- Portland's Hottest Neighborhoods: Where to Buy Now
- Portland's 10 Best New Restaurants
- The Northwest's 8 Best Wildflower Hikes
- Plotting Portland's New Skyline
- Genoa Restaurant Closing May 11
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- Tripster: Weekend Plans