Portland Opera: Pirates of Penzance
In 2011, Oregon Shakespeare Festival Artistic Director Bill Rauch updated Gilbert and Sullivan’s classic to include musical phrases from more modern times, drawing sold out audiences. Now fresh off of directing Breaking Bad’s Bryan Cranston on Broadway in the OSF-commissioned All the Way (it was nominated for a Tony!), Rauch revists Pirates with the Portland Opera, where he’ll sub opera phrases for some of those pop-cultural ones. He promises none of the zaniness is getting dialed back.
Read our profile of Rauch and Pirates from our Spring Arts Preview.
- Portland's 10 Best Restaurants of 2014
- Ursula K. Le Guin Burns Down the National Book Awards
- Cheryl Strayed Talks About Filming 'Wild' with Reese Witherspoon (And Meeting Channing Tatum)
- A New Mayan Restaurant Is Taking Over Little T Every Sunday
- Inside Kyra's Bake Shop's New and Improved Gluten-Free Bakery
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: Nov 20–23
- Thanksgiving in Portland: Dine Out
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots