Portland Opera: Pirates of Penzance
In 2011, Oregon Shakespeare Festival Artistic Director Bill Rauch updated Gilbert and Sullivan’s classic to include musical phrases from more modern times, drawing sold out audiences. Now fresh off of directing Breaking Bad’s Bryan Cranston on Broadway in the OSF-commissioned All the Way (it was nominated for a Tony!), Rauch revists Pirates with the Portland Opera, where he’ll sub opera phrases for some of those pop-cultural ones. He promises none of the zaniness is getting dialed back.
Read our profile of Rauch and Pirates from our Spring Arts Preview.
- Portlander's Dog Film Breaks the Internet's Heart
- Toby Froud’s New Puppet Film Returns Us to the Magical World of ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘The Dark Crystal’
- 8 Great Northwest Swimming Holes
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- How Much Pressure is Too Much Pressure in a Massage?
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: June 18–21
- The 10 Best New Brunches in Portland
- Which Northwest Summer Festival Is Too Naked For You?