Portland Opera: Pirates of Penzance
In 2011, Oregon Shakespeare Festival Artistic Director Bill Rauch updated Gilbert and Sullivan’s classic to include musical phrases from more modern times, drawing sold out audiences. Now fresh off of directing Breaking Bad’s Bryan Cranston on Broadway in the OSF-commissioned All the Way (it was nominated for a Tony!), Rauch revists Pirates with the Portland Opera, where he’ll sub opera phrases for some of those pop-cultural ones. He promises none of the zaniness is getting dialed back.
Read our profile of Rauch and Pirates from our Spring Arts Preview.
- Inside North Portland's SamplingLab, Where Everything Is Free
- 50 Things Every Portlander Must Do This Winter
- All-Way's Hamburger Time Machine
- 15 Ways to Pamper Yourself From Head to Toe
- An Oregon Company’s Totally Rad School Backpacks Will Make You Want to Pack a Lunch
- 10 Last-Minute Holiday Gifts for Foodies
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Bring Some Scandinavian Holidays Home with Beaverton's Scandia Imports