Portland Opera: Pirates of Penzance
In 2011, Oregon Shakespeare Festival Artistic Director Bill Rauch updated Gilbert and Sullivan’s classic to include musical phrases from more modern times, drawing sold out audiences. Now fresh off of directing Breaking Bad’s Bryan Cranston on Broadway in the OSF-commissioned All the Way (it was nominated for a Tony!), Rauch revists Pirates with the Portland Opera, where he’ll sub opera phrases for some of those pop-cultural ones. He promises none of the zaniness is getting dialed back.
Read our profile of Rauch and Pirates from our Spring Arts Preview.
- Toby Froud’s New Puppet Film Returns Us to the Magical World of ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘The Dark Crystal’
- Three Women Transforming Ranching in Eastern Oregon
- A Native Portlander Returns to Find Her Hometown Radically Transformed
- Writer and Private Investigator Rene Denfeld on Portland Sexism
- 10 Amazing Oregon Women Breaking Barriers, Kicking Ass, and Inspiring Us All
- 3 Things You Must Eat in Portland This March
- Portland's Mayor Says the Future is Bright—If Anyone Can Still Afford to Live Here
- Toby, the Baby from Labyrinth, Grows Up to Be a Goblin King—in Portland