Portland Film Festival
Debuting this year, the first ever Portland Film Festival feels like it came out of nowhere. The ambitious fest includes 83 films—many Portland and even world premieres. Proving that if you screen it, they will come, the fest has sold out so many of its screenings that it's adding an extra day on Monday to re-screen films that were fan favorites and award winners (Mon at noon; Mission Theater). Some highlights:
- Free screenings under the stars in the Pearl District’s new Fields Park with cast and crew in attendance, a beer garden, food carts, and live music (Fri–Sun; music at 5, movies at sunset—approximately 8:20).
- Chuck Palahniuk will read from his new story, "Zombies," before a Portland premiere of a new short based on his story "Romance," with cast and local director Andy Mingo in attendance (Thu at 6; Bagdad Theater).
- A behind-the-scenes look with the Emmy- and Oscar-winning makeup masters behind the likes of Freddy Krueger and Grimm (Sat at 6; World Trade Center)
- A night with Randall, the creator of the YouTube animal phenom the Honey Badger! Because in Portland, honey badger do care! (Sat at noon; Cinema 21)
- And, of course, films. Lots of films.
- Ursula K. Le Guin Burns Down the National Book Awards
- An Ambitious Custom Home in Vancouver (?!) Shows What the 'Burbs Could Be
- Insider Secrets on The Princess Bride As Told to Us By Westley Himself
- Cathy Whims to Open an International Ham Bar
- The Guide to Black Friday at Locally Owned Portland Shops
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Insider Tips From Portland's Grooming Experts
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: Nov 26-Nov 30