Portland Film Festival
Debuting this year, the first ever Portland Film Festival feels like it came out of nowhere. The ambitious fest includes 83 films—many Portland and even world premieres. Proving that if you screen it, they will come, the fest has sold out so many of its screenings that it's adding an extra day on Monday to re-screen films that were fan favorites and award winners (Mon at noon; Mission Theater). Some highlights:
- Free screenings under the stars in the Pearl District’s new Fields Park with cast and crew in attendance, a beer garden, food carts, and live music (Fri–Sun; music at 5, movies at sunset—approximately 8:20).
- Chuck Palahniuk will read from his new story, "Zombies," before a Portland premiere of a new short based on his story "Romance," with cast and local director Andy Mingo in attendance (Thu at 6; Bagdad Theater).
- A behind-the-scenes look with the Emmy- and Oscar-winning makeup masters behind the likes of Freddy Krueger and Grimm (Sat at 6; World Trade Center)
- A night with Randall, the creator of the YouTube animal phenom the Honey Badger! Because in Portland, honey badger do care! (Sat at noon; Cinema 21)
- And, of course, films. Lots of films.
- Inside North Portland's SamplingLab, Where Everything Is Free
- 10 Last-Minute Holiday Gifts for Foodies
- 50 Things Every Portlander Must Do This Winter
- All-Way's Hamburger Time Machine
- An Oregon Company’s Totally Rad School Backpacks Will Make You Want to Pack a Lunch
- 15 Ways to Pamper Yourself From Head to Toe
- Bring Some Scandinavian Holidays Home with Beaverton's Scandia Imports
- Cozy Up with Portland's Best Hot Chocolate