Portland Film Festival
Debuting this year, the first ever Portland Film Festival feels like it came out of nowhere. The ambitious fest includes 83 films—many Portland and even world premieres. Proving that if you screen it, they will come, the fest has sold out so many of its screenings that it's adding an extra day on Monday to re-screen films that were fan favorites and award winners (Mon at noon; Mission Theater). Some highlights:
- Free screenings under the stars in the Pearl District’s new Fields Park with cast and crew in attendance, a beer garden, food carts, and live music (Fri–Sun; music at 5, movies at sunset—approximately 8:20).
- Chuck Palahniuk will read from his new story, "Zombies," before a Portland premiere of a new short based on his story "Romance," with cast and local director Andy Mingo in attendance (Thu at 6; Bagdad Theater).
- A behind-the-scenes look with the Emmy- and Oscar-winning makeup masters behind the likes of Freddy Krueger and Grimm (Sat at 6; World Trade Center)
- A night with Randall, the creator of the YouTube animal phenom the Honey Badger! Because in Portland, honey badger do care! (Sat at noon; Cinema 21)
- And, of course, films. Lots of films.
- Behold Sunriver Resort's $50 Million Facelift
- Tripster: Weekend Plans
- The Northwest's 8 Best Wildflower Hikes
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Three Reasons To Try Ya Hala’s New Lebanese Brunch
- Wildfang Launches the Coolest Ad Campaign of the Year
- Portland's 10 Best Restaurants of 2014
- The Incredible Story of an Engineer Behind Portland’s Newest Bridge