Portland Brooklyn Project: A Benefit for Red Hook, Brooklyn
For its latest issue, lit quarterly Tin House plumbs the relationship between their homebase of Portland and satellite, Brooklyn "to show you the ever-evolving dynamism of these cities," over the caricatures of cool and clichés both have come to embody. It seems appropriate to call the two towns "sister cities." As with siblings, the distance, the jealousy, falls away to reveal a fierce protectiveness in times of need.
Tin House hosts a benefit to support the waterfront Red Hook, Brooklyn neighborhood hard hit by Hurricane Sandy. Authors Jon Raymond, Karen Karbo, Peter Carlin, and Nancy Rommelmann will tackle the evening's theme of "Defiance," while The Tim DuRoche Band and Casey Neill will be performing. $20 for an advance ticket or $35 for a ticket and entry into the raffle—prizes include: gift certificates, subscriptions, and select titles from the Tin House catalogue!
All proceeds will go to the Red Hook Initiative and Rebuild Red Hook.
- Ultimate Summer Day Trips
- Top Things to Do Labor Day Weekend 2014
- 6 Great Summer Food Cart Sandwiches
- Toby Froud’s New Puppet Film Returns Us to the Magical World of ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘The Dark Crystal’
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- 7 Relaxing Summer Day Trips
- Guide to 2014 Summer Concerts and Festivals
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts