OMSI Science Pub: House of Wisdom: The Influence of Islamic Science on Western Culture
Features:Price: $5 suggested donation
While Christian nations sunk into dark times after the fall of Rome, Muslim nations thrived, producing great strides in astronomy, mathmatics, and philosophy. Jonathan Lyons, who calls NE Portland his home, will discuss how great European minds benefitted from the hotbed of progress in cities like Baghdad and Antioch.
No scientific background is required, so Science Pubs are a great way to feel intellectually engaged while sipping on your drink of choice in a comfortable setting.
- Portlander's Dog Film Breaks the Internet's Heart
- Toby Froud’s New Puppet Film Returns Us to the Magical World of ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘The Dark Crystal’
- 8 Great Northwest Swimming Holes
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- How Much Pressure is Too Much Pressure in a Massage?
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: June 18–21
- The 10 Best New Brunches in Portland
- Which Northwest Summer Festival Is Too Naked For You?