Michael Stirling, disciple of Indian classical vocalist Pandit Pran Nath and a student of the American minimalist composer Terry Riley, will perform three Hindustani ragas on Saturday, April 20. A raga is best described as a tonal framework for composition and improvisation– born through a lengthy evolutionary process. Each Hindustani raga is associated with specific times of the day and specific seasons. Stirling’s raga performance will began at ten o’clock at night and last until the morning.
- Where Do Portland's Best Chefs Eat on their Own Time?
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: Oct 23–25
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Checking in with Portland's Tiny House Hotel
- Three Reasons To Try Café Castagna’s New Middle East Brunch
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- The Ultimate Guide to Portland's Teahouses
- Q&A: Getting R-Rated with SNL's Norm MacDonald