Michael Stirling, disciple of Indian classical vocalist Pandit Pran Nath and a student of the American minimalist composer Terry Riley, will perform three Hindustani ragas on Saturday, April 20. A raga is best described as a tonal framework for composition and improvisation– born through a lengthy evolutionary process. Each Hindustani raga is associated with specific times of the day and specific seasons. Stirling’s raga performance will began at ten o’clock at night and last until the morning.
- Portland Neighborhoods By The Numbers: Where to Buy in 2015
- Inside P.R.E.A.M.’s Pizza Party HQ
- Bend’s Plant-Based Burger Joint Hits Hawthorne
- Bean Heaven at Cup & Bar: Where Coffee and Chocolate Collide
- Portland Farmers Market's New Vendors and Neighborhood Opening Dates
- Inside the North Portland Shop Where Everything Is Free
- "3 Things I Learned Opening A PDX Doughnut Shop in Japan"
- Trail of the Month: Mosier Plateau