Literary Arts is bringing Pulitzer-winner Lawrence Wright to discuss his investigation of Scientology, the National Book Award finalist Going Clear. Amid the many troubling things he turns up, we particularly liked L. Ron Hubbard's pre-Scientology self-hypnosis mantra:
That I believe in my gods and spiritual things.
That my magical work is powerful and effective.
That the numbers 7, 25, and 16 are not
unlucky or evil for me.
That I am not bad to look upon.
That I am not susceptible to colds ...
That these words and commands are like fire and will sear themselves into every corner of my being, making me happy
and well and confident forever!
- Toby Froud’s New Puppet Film Returns Us to the Magical World of ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘The Dark Crystal’
- A Native Portlander Returns to Find Her Hometown Radically Transformed
- Best Bets for Portland Dining Month
- Portlanders Share Stories of Their Worst Dates Ever
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Portland's 10 Best Restaurants of 2014
- Rental Market Madness
- Toby, the Baby from Labyrinth, Grows Up to Be a Goblin King—in Portland