Last month, the Jefferson Dancers made history as the first Portland dance company to tour China, performing in prestigious venues in Shanghai, Nanjing, Tianjin, and Xuzhou under the invitation of Portland-based Chinus Cultural Productions (and with the help of a $10,000 Indiegogo campaign). The 14- to 18-year-old dancers have time and again proven themselves gifted performers and athletes; over the program’s 37 years, members of the multi-ethnic troupe have gone on to study at top programs like Julliard and Tisch, and to dance with legendary choreographers like Mark Morris and Merce Cunningham. Now they just have to conquer the jet lag.
Watch our audio slideshow of the dancers' trip to China with photography by Portland's Creative Laureate, Julie Keefe.
- "3 Things I Learned Opening A PDX Doughnut Shop in Japan"
- Bend’s Plant-Based Burger Joint Hits Hawthorne
- How the New Max Orange Line Will Change Portland
- Portland Neighborhoods By The Numbers: Where to Buy in 2015
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Portland Farmers Market's New Vendors and Neighborhood Opening Dates
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: Apr 23–26