Last month, the Jefferson Dancers made history as the first Portland dance company to tour China, performing in prestigious venues in Shanghai, Nanjing, Tianjin, and Xuzhou under the invitation of Portland-based Chinus Cultural Productions (and with the help of a $10,000 Indiegogo campaign). The 14- to 18-year-old dancers have time and again proven themselves gifted performers and athletes; over the program’s 37 years, members of the multi-ethnic troupe have gone on to study at top programs like Julliard and Tisch, and to dance with legendary choreographers like Mark Morris and Merce Cunningham. Now they just have to conquer the jet lag.
Watch our audio slideshow of the dancers' trip to China with photography by Portland's Creative Laureate, Julie Keefe.
- Portland's Best Schools, Ranked and Rated
- How Portland's Cost of Living (and Beer) Compares to Major U.S. Cities
- How Much Pressure is Too Much Pressure in a Massage?
- A New Food Lover's Market to Open Next to The Ocean's Microeateries
- A Peek at PDX Airport’s New Carpet
- The Last Energy Bar Recipe You'll Ever Need
- Fitmob's All-You-Can-Sweat Fitness Passport Comes to PDX
- Damian Lillard Unveils His Adidas Shoe