Last month, the Jefferson Dancers made history as the first Portland dance company to tour China, performing in prestigious venues in Shanghai, Nanjing, Tianjin, and Xuzhou under the invitation of Portland-based Chinus Cultural Productions (and with the help of a $10,000 Indiegogo campaign). The 14- to 18-year-old dancers have time and again proven themselves gifted performers and athletes; over the program’s 37 years, members of the multi-ethnic troupe have gone on to study at top programs like Julliard and Tisch, and to dance with legendary choreographers like Mark Morris and Merce Cunningham. Now they just have to conquer the jet lag.
Watch our audio slideshow of the dancers' trip to China with photography by Portland's Creative Laureate, Julie Keefe.
- The Northwest's 8 Best Wildflower Hikes
- Behold Sunriver Resort's $50 Million Facelift
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Wildfang Launches the Coolest Ad Campaign of the Year
- Jacobsen Salt Buys Out Bee Local
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: Mar 26–29
- Portland's 10 Best Restaurants of 2014