Last month, the Jefferson Dancers made history as the first Portland dance company to tour China, performing in prestigious venues in Shanghai, Nanjing, Tianjin, and Xuzhou under the invitation of Portland-based Chinus Cultural Productions (and with the help of a $10,000 Indiegogo campaign). The 14- to 18-year-old dancers have time and again proven themselves gifted performers and athletes; over the program’s 37 years, members of the multi-ethnic troupe have gone on to study at top programs like Julliard and Tisch, and to dance with legendary choreographers like Mark Morris and Merce Cunningham. Now they just have to conquer the jet lag.
Watch our audio slideshow of the dancers' trip to China with photography by Portland's Creative Laureate, Julie Keefe.
- Where Do Portland's Best Chefs Eat on their Own Time?
- Checking in with Portland's Tiny House Hotel
- Check Out these Sweet Wine Country Trailers
- The World's Best Beards and Mustaches Compete In Portland (and Defy the Laws of Gravity)
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- The Ultimate Guide to Portland's Teahouses
- Sustainable Grilling at Bamboo Izakaya
- Portland's 10 Best Guilt-Free Dishes