Oregon native Chas Smith, who grew up surfing Coos Bay, comes to Powell’s to read from his new book, Welcome to Paradise, Now Go To Hell: A True Story of Violence, Corruption, and the Soul of Surfing. The extensively-traveled Smith claims to be the surfing world’s most controversial writer, and has a wealth of improbable experiences on and off the beach, including once being a captive of Hezbollah. His new book tells the story of the two months every winter when Oahu’s North Shore becomes a lawless, violent, and drug-saturated surfing mecca.
Read our interview with the foul-mouthed, danger-loving writer about his start as a writer, being the first to surf Yemen, and why he published the tell-all book despite knowing that he'll now be a target for a smackdown from the shady surfers he wrote about.
- The Latest in Portland Arts News—Anthony Bourdain is Portland-Bound!
- Wake Up to Portland's Best Breakfast Sandwiches
- Portland Neighborhoods By The Numbers: Where to Buy in 2015
- 5 Reasons to Look Forward to Portland's Newest Sundae Shop
- Big Money Moments in Portland Real Estate
- Barbecue Deluxe at Smokehouse Tavern
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts