Oregon native Chas Smith, who grew up surfing Coos Bay, comes to Powell’s to read from his new book, Welcome to Paradise, Now Go To Hell: A True Story of Violence, Corruption, and the Soul of Surfing. The extensively-traveled Smith claims to be the surfing world’s most controversial writer, and has a wealth of improbable experiences on and off the beach, including once being a captive of Hezbollah. His new book tells the story of the two months every winter when Oahu’s North Shore becomes a lawless, violent, and drug-saturated surfing mecca.
Read our interview with the foul-mouthed, danger-loving writer about his start as a writer, being the first to surf Yemen, and why he published the tell-all book despite knowing that he'll now be a target for a smackdown from the shady surfers he wrote about.
- The Northwest's 8 Best Wildflower Hikes
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- Portland's 10 Best Restaurants of 2014
- Jacobsen Salt Buys Out Bee Local
- A Historic Oregon Ranch is Crusading to Revive the American Clothing Industry
- A New Wave of Innovative Yoga Pants
- Behold Sunriver Resort's $50 Million Facelift