Oregon native Chas Smith, who grew up surfing Coos Bay, comes to Powell’s to read from his new book, Welcome to Paradise, Now Go To Hell: A True Story of Violence, Corruption, and the Soul of Surfing. The extensively-traveled Smith claims to be the surfing world’s most controversial writer, and has a wealth of improbable experiences on and off the beach, including once being a captive of Hezbollah. His new book tells the story of the two months every winter when Oahu’s North Shore becomes a lawless, violent, and drug-saturated surfing mecca.
Read our interview with the foul-mouthed, danger-loving writer about his start as a writer, being the first to surf Yemen, and why he published the tell-all book despite knowing that he'll now be a target for a smackdown from the shady surfers he wrote about.
- Holy Cow! Portland Bridges by Drone!
- Shandong's Sister Restaurant Brings the Sichuan Heat to NW Portland
- 16 Perfect Trails for Exploring Mount St. Helens
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- The 10 Best New Brunches in Portland
- Portland News to Chew
- Nong Slays Competition to Win Chopped
- Portland's 10 Best Salads