Since TBA has grown into an international festival, we asked curators from around the country to give us the inside scoop on their favorite artists. Read more of their picks.
"The one performance I'm really looking forward to is Still Standing You by Pieter Ampe and Guilherme Garrido. Physically demanding performance intrigues me; it's so far from my own experience in the world of objects and visual art. I hear that it's an exhausting piece for the performers, and I wonder if the audience will feel a kind of similar exhaustion...the good kind, like after a great workout." —Todd Tubutis, executive director at Blue Sky, the Oregon Center for the Photographic Arts
Emblematic of many of this year’s stripped-down performances, Belgian dancer Pieter Ampe and Portuguese artist Guilherme Garrido create a performance that relies on nothing but their bodies and a profound level of trust (not even clothes—much of the performance is naked). In this US premiere, they shift between tenderness, humor and aggression while pushing male bonding to the extreme.
- How Portland's Cost of Living (and Beer) Compares to Major U.S. Cities
- A Peek at PDX Airport’s New Carpet
- The 10 Most Anticipated Restaurant Openings of 2015
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: Jan 22–25
- A Brief History of the PDX Airport Carpet
- Fitmob's All-You-Can-Sweat Fitness Passport Comes to PDX
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- This Portland Woman’s Travel Group is Taking Off