Bright Lights Discussion Series: A Conversation With Design Museum Boston
Can a Boston “museum” concept gain traction in Portland?
In 2009, a pair of 20-something designers had an idea: a design museum for Boston. But rather than reach for a building, the founders and future codirectors of Design Museum Boston, Sam Aquillano and Derek Cascio, threw a pizza party—and spread their belief in design throughout the city.
Nearly four years later, through wide-ranging collaborations with colleagues and institutions, the duo has wrangled exhibits and projects ranging from Retail: Retell. Recycle. Rethink, an exhibition on sustainable marketing, to a competition to design street seating for Boston’s booming Fort Point Channel. In July 2011, Design Museum Boston, in collaboration with the City of Boston and the Massachusetts College of Art and Design, received a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts to use design to build community and increase the livability of the South Boston Waterfront, home to the city’s burgeoning Innovation District. Over the past 18 months, DMB has cut across individual constituencies to unite this diverse community in ways no one thought possible.
Sponsored by the Pacific Northwest College of Art, Aquillano and Cascio will bring their concepts to Portland in late January, culminating with a Portland design community town hall at Portland Monthly’s Bright Lights.
Bright Lights: Discussions on the City is a monthly series presented by Portland Monthly magazine with City Club of Portland designed to bring the region’s thought leaders to the stage in an informal, conversational setting.
- Best Bets for Portland Dining Month
- A Guide to Portland's Mac & Cheese Scene
- Toby Froud’s New Puppet Film Returns Us to the Magical World of ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘The Dark Crystal’
- Inside Woodstock's Fishermen-Owned Portland Fish Market
- Portland's 10 Best Restaurants of 2014
- The Oscars Red Carpet Highs and Lows
- The Beautiful Machine: Exploring the Gyrotonic Movement System in PDX
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots