Alien Boy: The Life and Death of James Chasse
Alien Boy is a documentary by local fimmaker Brian Lindstrom that tells the events of the death of Portlander James Chasse, a man afflicted with schizophrenia, who died after police grappled with him on a street corner in NW Portland. Lindstrom's film seeks to present a full, public account of what happened to Chasse at the hands of the police, as well as a sensitive look at Chasse's life, accomplishments, and successes as a person living with a mental illness in a world that was mostly unaccomodating for him and remains so for so many like him. Shown as part of the Portland International Film Festival, with a longer run through Mar. 7.
Read our preview of the film on our Culturephile Blog.
- Portland Neighborhoods By The Numbers: Where to Buy in 2015
- Inside P.R.E.A.M.’s Pizza Party HQ
- Bend’s Plant-Based Burger Joint Hits Hawthorne
- Bean Heaven at Cup & Bar: Where Coffee and Chocolate Collide
- Portland Farmers Market's New Vendors and Neighborhood Opening Dates
- Inside the North Portland Shop Where Everything Is Free
- "3 Things I Learned Opening A PDX Doughnut Shop in Japan"
- Trail of the Month: Mosier Plateau