Alien Boy: The Life and Death of James Chasse
Alien Boy is a documentary by local fimmaker Brian Lindstrom that tells the events of the death of Portlander James Chasse, a man afflicted with schizophrenia, who died after police grappled with him on a street corner in NW Portland. Lindstrom's film seeks to present a full, public account of what happened to Chasse at the hands of the police, as well as a sensitive look at Chasse's life, accomplishments, and successes as a person living with a mental illness in a world that was mostly unaccomodating for him and remains so for so many like him. Shown as part of the Portland International Film Festival, with a longer run through Mar. 7.
Read our preview of the film on our Culturephile Blog.
- Portlander's Dog Film Breaks the Internet's Heart
- Toby Froud’s New Puppet Film Returns Us to the Magical World of ‘Labyrinth’ and ‘The Dark Crystal’
- 8 Great Northwest Swimming Holes
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- How Much Pressure is Too Much Pressure in a Massage?
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: June 18–21
- The 10 Best New Brunches in Portland
- Which Northwest Summer Festival Is Too Naked For You?