PDX Adult Soapbox Derby
Boasting “spilled blood and spilled beer” since 1997, the all-volunteer Portland Adult Soapbox Derby hits Southeast Portland’s Mount Tabor once again, bringing marching-band fanfare, costumed tomfoolery, and more than 40 road-ready teams with homemade craft-cars in tow. Classified in three categories—“art,” “science,” and “rookie”—the racers vary in their approach. Some trade heavily on spectacle value, sporting a papier-mâché Mr. Potato Head or a bearskin rug. Others employ sleek engineering to build almost-viable vehicles that account for safety and speed. A brazen few are just boxes on wheels, bracing for a crash. One way or another, the whole crazy cavalcade is going downhill fast.
Read more about the Derby here, in our Summer Guide.
- Inside North Portland's SamplingLab, Where Everything Is Free
- Portland’s Best Bars 2014
- 50 Things Every Portlander Must Do This Winter
- 10 Last-Minute Holiday Gifts for Foodies
- Top Things to Do This Weekend: Dec 18–21
- A Peek at PDX Airport’s New Carpet
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Portland's Best New Year's Eve Events