PDX Adult Soapbox Derby
Boasting “spilled blood and spilled beer” since 1997, the all-volunteer Portland Adult Soapbox Derby hits Southeast Portland’s Mount Tabor once again, bringing marching-band fanfare, costumed tomfoolery, and more than 40 road-ready teams with homemade craft-cars in tow. Classified in three categories—“art,” “science,” and “rookie”—the racers vary in their approach. Some trade heavily on spectacle value, sporting a papier-mâché Mr. Potato Head or a bearskin rug. Others employ sleek engineering to build almost-viable vehicles that account for safety and speed. A brazen few are just boxes on wheels, bracing for a crash. One way or another, the whole crazy cavalcade is going downhill fast.
Read more about the Derby here, in our Summer Guide.
- The Northwest's 8 Best Wildflower Hikes
- Portland’s Best Breakfast Spots
- Portland’s Best Breakfasts
- Portland's 10 Best Restaurants of 2014
- Jacobsen Salt Buys Out Bee Local
- A Historic Oregon Ranch is Crusading to Revive the American Clothing Industry
- A New Wave of Innovative Yoga Pants
- Behold Sunriver Resort's $50 Million Facelift