Recipe Courtesy Leather Storrs, chef and owner of Rocket restaurant.
1 large fennel bulb
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp salt
¾ cup cauliflower florets, stems removed
Juice of 3 oranges, plus more to taste
2 tsp Dijon mustard
½ cup olive oil
½ shallot, minced
2 heads butter lettuce, trimmed, leaves washed
1 handful black Cerignola or Niçoise olives, pitted, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
(1) Trim fronds and stalks from fennel. Remove the core from the bulb, and shave or slice into 1/8-inch-thick pieces. Toss with lemon juice and salt, cover and refrigerate one hour, then drain fennel and set aside.
(2) To prepare the cauliflower-orange vinaigrette, finely chop cauliflower florets.
(3) In a small saucepan over medium heat, simmer cauliflower with orange juice and a dash of salt until tender, about 7-10 minutes. Drain.
(4) In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, olive oil and minced shallot; stir in cauliflower, and season with salt, pepper and fresh orange juice to taste.
(5) To arrange the salad, toss whole leaves of butter lettuce with vinaigrette and arrange on plates, placing big leaves on bottom, setting smaller leaves on top, and sprinkling each layer of lettuce with a little fennel and a little chopped olive.
(6) Garnish with chopped chives.