Summer in Portland promises a typically incomparable roster of talent appearing at our top alfresco concert venues: the Oregon Zoo, McMenamins Edgefield, Noon Tunes, to say nothing of the summer festivals. With everyone from the National to Pink Martini to Lyle Lovett to, yes, "Weird" Al Yankovic heading our way, and with the promise of healthy rays of sun, there’s no time like the present to start making plans for your summer sound safari—especially when many of the shows are close to selling out.
OUTDOOR CONCERTS A LA CARTE
- July 10—Garrison Keillor’s A Prairie Home Companion’s Radio Romance Tour
- July 27—The Flaming Lips
- Aug 2—Pink Martini
- Aug 3—Pink Martini
- Aug 10—Michael Franti & Spearhead
- Aug 13–Steely Dan. Sold out.
- Aug 14—Yeah Yeah Yeahs
- Aug 29—Fun. with special guests Tegan and Sara. Sold out.
- Aug 31—Death Cab for Cutie Plays Transatlanticism and More. Sold out.
- Sept 1—MGMT
- Sept 6—Onerepublic and Sara Bareilles
- Sept 21–The National with guests Frightened Rabbit. Sold out
- July 18—“Weird" Al Yankovic
- July 26—Randy Newman
- July 27—Leann Rimes
- July 28—Indigo Girls
- Aug 3—Lyle Lovett
- Aug 4—Trombone Shorty, JJ Grey & MOFRO
- Aug 8—Lee Brice
- Aug 10—Todd Snider’s Traveling Folk Show with Shawn Mullins, Hayes Carll, and Sarah Jarosz
- Aug 16—Los Lobos
- Aug 25—Chris Isaak
- Sept 6—The Doobie Brothers
- July 14—Counting Crows with the Wallflowers
- Aug 17—Daryl Hall and John Oates
- Aug 24—Willie Nelson and the Family
Free concerts at Washington Park's Rose Garden ampitheater
- Aug 1—Portland Gay Men's Chorus
- Aug 2—Portland Summerfest Opera: Otello by Giuseppe Verdi
- Aug 3—PDX Jazz presents the Carlton Jackon-Dave Mills Big Band
- Aug 4—Portland Festival Symphony
- Aug 5—Obo Addy's Legacy: DiaTribe—From the Village to the Streets
- Aug 6—Black Prarie
- Aug 7—Vagabond Opera
- Aug 8—Sean Ghazi
- Aug 9—NW Dance Project's In Good Company
- Aug 10—Caña Son
- July 11—Ashleigh Flynn (Wallace Park)
- July 12—Tony Starlight (Fernhill Park)
- July 22—Brownish Black (Sellwood Riverfront Park)
- July 23—Nancy King (Mt. Tabor Park)
- July 30—Dr. Theopolis (Mt. Tabor Park)
Sundown at Ecotrust Concert Series
Free outdoor concerts at 721 NW 9th
- July 10—Onuinu and Adventure Galley
- July 17—Portland Cello Project and Adam Sheare
- July 24—Crystal Bowersox and Wayward Vessel
- July 31—Radiation City and Genders
Music On Main Street
Free outdoor concerts on Main St. next to Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall
- July 10—Joey Porter's Tribute to Stevie Wonder
- July 17—The Satin Chaps
- July 24—Y La Bamba
- July 31—Sassparilla
- Aug 7—The Portland Timbre and Boka Marimba
- Aug 14—Steelhead
- Aug 21—Brownish Black
- Aug 28—Caleb Klauder Country Band
Free concerts at Pioneer Square
- July 11—Redwood Son
- July 16—Brian Copeland Band
- July 18—Small Souls
- July 23—Jesse Layne
- July 25—Freewill Band
- July 30—The Sale
- Aug 1—Twangshifters
- Aug 6—Just Lions
- Aug 8—Sunderland
- Aug 13—Strange Tones
- Aug 15—Catherine Feeny
July 18–21—Northwest String Summit
Yonder Mountain String Band headlines this bluegrass festival as it celebrates its 12th anniversary.
July 19-21—Wildwood Music Fest
The Cave Singers, Deadstring Brothers, and Sassparilla headline this Americana and blue festival.
July 26–28—What the Festival
Portland's hottest new party returns for a second year, featuring electronica acts A-Trak, Purity Ring, Yacht, and more DJs than you can count. Read our feature.
July 26–28—Capitol Hill Block Party
There's a range of talent at this year's Block Party, from the Flaming Lips and Girl Talk to Cults, Dirty Projectors, and Danny Brown.
July 26–28—Northwest World Reggae Festival
Prezident Brown, Etana, Nkulee Dube, and more.
July 19–21—PDX Pop Now!
Catch Y La Bamba, Sons of Huns, Magic Mouth, Hausu, and tons of other local acts at the festival's 10-year anniversary. Read our feature.
Feist and Andrew Bird head up this year's roster of indie, roots, and americana artists, which also includes Ty Seagall, King Tuff, and Shabazz Palaces.
Aug 2–4—Watershed Fest
Country stars Luke Bryan, Toby Keith, and Brad Paisley strum their guitars at this three day country fest.
Aug 31–Sept 2—Bumbershoot
Death Cab For Cutie, Fun., Heart, Bassnectar, Kendrick Lamar, MGMT, and oh so many more cut across genres.
Sept 6–8—Sisters Folk Festival
Headliners of this blues/bluegrass festival include John Cleary, John Fullbright, Cheryl Wheeler, and Ray Bonneville.
Sept 3–8—MusicFest NW
Filling Portland with sounds will be up-and-coming acts such as Chromatics, Surfer Blood, and Typhoon, alongside national headliners Young the Giant, Animal Collective, Neko Case, and the Head and the Heart.