Portlandia is back—bigger and more bird-adorned than ever. The nationally celebrated comedy (why is the rest of the country so fixated on us, anyway?) promises a new slate of guest stars for its fourth season, premiering February 27, including actors Steve Buscemi and Kirsten Dunst, Saturday Night Live’s Vanessa Bayer, sex columnist Dan Savage, and Silas Weir Mitchell of Grimm, Portland’s other television hit. Local celebs k.d. lang, Paul Allen, and members of the Blazers are also scheduled to appear.
As always, keep an eye out for local landmarks and Portland-only inside jokes. Speaking of which… have you ever found yourself questioning if a certain person, place, or event is from Portland or Portlandia? Don’t worry; it happens to us, too. That’s why we’ve devised “Truth or Portlandia?” a quiz to test your local IQ.
TRUTH OR PORTLANDIA – can you guess which is which?
Each of these pairs contains one Portlandia reference and one real Portland landmark. Good luck!
1. a) Mounted, a taxidermy-themed group show, featuring local artists
b) Battle of the Gentle Bands, a stripped-down acoustic version of a traditional battle of the bands, featuring local musicians
2. a) Portland’s Adult Hide & Seek League
b) Portland’s Adult Soapbox Derby
3. a) The Take Back MTV Charity Ball, fostering the return of classic content (like music!) to MTV
b) Megabounce Creatures, an interactive dance party/circus experience/animal dress-up party
4. a) The Historical Punk Society, an interactive museum in the home of real Portland punks
b) The Lincoln Street Kayak and Canoe Museum, open two hours per week
5. a) Mother’s Sun Natural Deoderant (a local product)
b) Schmidt’s Handcrafted Organic Ylang Ylang & Calendula Deoderant (a local product)
6. a) Lightbar, a café bar providing therapeutic lighting in a European bistro ambiance
b) Two Girls, Two Shirts, a boutique clothing store that only stocks two shirts at a time
7. a) The Doily Shoppe, a shop that sells doilies
b) Yarnia, a shop that sells yarn
8. a) We Be Weiners, a hot dog cart serving sausages, chili dogs, and other gut bombs
b) Stu’s Stews, a stew-centric food cart serving Salt Lick Lamb & Pickled Matzo.
9. a) The Portland Fermentation Festival
b) The Allergy Pride Parade
10. a) Seattle appears on the cover of a recent Portland Monthly :(
b) Portland appears on the cover of a recent Seattle Met :)
How'd you do? Check your answers below!
Portlandia returns to IFC on February 27 at 10 pm. Here's a sneak peak with Steve Buscemi and Silas Weir Mitchell.
PORTLAND: 1-A (open Mar 7–30 at good: a gallery, 4325 N. Mississippi Ave), 2-B, 3-B (Mar 8 at Erosnyx, 2010 SE 8th Ave), 4-B, 5-B, 6-A, 7-B, 8-A, 9-A, 10-B
PORTLANDIA: 1-B, 2-A, 3-A, 4-A, 5-A, 6-B, 7-A, 8-B, 9-B, 10-A
For more on Portland arts and culture, sign up for our weekly On The Town newsletter, subscribe to our RSS feed, and follow us on Twitter @aarondavidscott. Visit our Arts & Entertainment Calendar for our editors’ event picks.