DOGS AND CATS, ELEPHANTS AND DONKEYS—in which Portland neighborhoods do birds of a feather flock together? A-hunting we went. We searched the databases of Multnomah County Animal Services for the zip codes with the largest number of active animal licenses and tabulated stats on campaign contributions to Democrats and Republicans during the 2008 federal election cycle. Here are the top three zips in each category, as well as a look at the political cage-fight downtown. We take no responsibility for anyone scratched, bitten, stomped, or kicked while observing the native wildlife.
- 97210 Northwest Industrial, Northwest District, Hillside, Forest Park 186 donors/ $156,542
- 97239 Homestead, South Portland, Hillsdale, Healy Heights 133 donors/ $131,905
- 97212 Irvington, Grant Park, Alameda, Sabin, Beaumont-Wilshire, Eliot 176 donors/ $75,430
- 97219 Collins View, South Bur-lingame, Multnomah, Marshall Park, Maplewood, Ashcreek, Arnold Creek, West Portland Park, Markham, Far Southwest 234 donors/ $185,650
- 97229 Forest Park, Linnton, Northwest Heights 241 donors/ $148,906
- 97221 Sylvan Highlands, Bridlemile, Hayhurst, Southwest Hills 161 donors/ $140,859
- Downtown/Southwest Hills
- Republicans: 287 Donors/$477,728
- Democrats: 265 Donors/$333,375?
- 97206 South Tabor, Mt Scott-Arleta, Brentwood-Darlington, Woodstock, Creston-Kenilworth Licenses: 3,610
- 97202 Reed, Eastmoreland, Sellwood-Moreland, Brooklyn, Richmond, Hosford-Abernethy, Ardenwald-?Johnson Creek, Creston-Kenilworth ?*Licenses: 3,166*
- 97219 Collins View, South Bur-lingame, Multnomah, Marshall Park, Maplewood, Ashcreek, Arnold Creek, West Portland Park, Markham, Far Southwest Licenses: 2,814
- 97202 Reed, Eastmoreland, Sellwood-Moreland, Brooklyn, Hosford-Abernethy, Richmond, Ardenwald-Johnson Creek, Creston-Kenilworth Licenses: 2,231
- 97206 South Tabor, Mt Scott-Arleta, Brentwood-Darlington, Woodstock, Creston-Kenilworth Licenses: 1,981
- 97213 Rose City Park, Roseway, Hollywood, North Tabor Licenses: 1,624