Saturday is my favorite day of the week. Yes, I know I’m not alone in that, but the first day of the weekend holds a particular significance for yours truly.
It’s the day I get to wake up early for the Portland Farmers’ Market at PSU, plug in a headset microphone, and host a fun, free cooking demo with Portland’s best chefs in front of a crowd of market enthusiasts. I’ve been emceeing Chef in the Market for five seasons, and once again I’m excited to feature previews of our demos here on Eat Beat before they happen.
Each week you’ll get the inside scoop on why chefs love their local markets, what dishes are hyper-local right now, and what Portland’s chefs are snacking on while they’re sorting through radishes and greens at the market. Hint: at 10 in the morning after a busy Friday night, it usually includes coffee. Lots of coffee.
Here is 2013’s fantastic lineup, and I look forward to seeing you there!
- June 1: Todd Koebke from Sabin Schellenberg Professional Technical Center
- June 8: Dax Erickson from The Mac Club
- June 15: Leena Ezekiel, renowned Portland Indian food expert and culinary instructor
- June 22: Ben Bettinger from Imperial and Penny Dinner
- June 29: Hank Costello from Andina
- July 6: Michael Uhnak from Besaw's
- July 20: Gregory Gourdet from Departure
- July 27: Aaron Woo from Natural Selection
- August 3: Dustin Clark from Wildwood
- August 10: Tyler Malek from Salt & Straw
- August 17: Gabe Rosen from Biwa
- August 24: Ken Gordon from Kenny and Zuke's
- August 31: Cathy Whims from Nostrana and Oven and Shaker
- September 7: Eric Joppie from Bar Avignon
- September 14: Kathryn Yeomans from The Farmer's Feast
- September 21: Amelia Hard and Allison Bader, culinary instructors from In Good Taste cooking school.
- September 28: Scott Ketterman from Crown Paella
Chef in the Market 10 am, FREE, in the middle of the farmers’ market at Portland State University in the South Park Blocks between SW Hall & SW Montgomery.
Can't make it to the PSU Market? Check our list of 2013 neighborhood farmers market opening dates and the Portland Monthly Insider's Guide to Farmers Markets, complete with shopping tips for local market from Hillsdale to Hollywood.