Thanks to the hard work of bubbly-loving wine directors, bars, bottle shops, and restaurants, the appreciation of sparkling wine is no longer limited to special occasions and New Years Eve toasts.
The ultimate food-friendly pairing, sparkling wine is shedding its old-school rep and stepping into the limelight as the summer-ready sip it really wants to be.
To show just how far brut has come, Oregon's own Argyle Winery is throwing a Portland-wide celebration of sparkling wine with laid-back events showcasing the casual side of bubbly.
Kicking off Monday, May 6 and running through Mother’s Day on May 12, Portland Bubbles Week 2013 will include highlights like:
- All week long, try featured pairings and special dishes from Salt & Straw (Argyle Brut sorbet), Park Kitchen, Bent Brick, Bluehour, and Pix Patisserie
- Special tastings at Portland Center Stage and Portland Opera throughout the week.
- Monday, May 6: An exclusive Argyle sparkling workshop at The Cleaners with winemaker Nate Klostermann, the Argyle team, and celebrity sommeliers.
- Thursday, May 9: Shucked!, An Argyle Winery and Portland Monthly oyster pairing event featuring a “best mignonette sauce” local chef competition.
- Friday, May 10 An Argyle Winery and Farm to Fork @marks_the_spot bubbles and roe-themed dinner (to be held at a secret location).
- Friday, May 10 and Saturday, May 11: Exclusive sparkling wine pours at two consecutive Yelp community parties at the Bossanova Ballroom
- Saturday, May 11: Cartopia food cart pod's Pop-Up Bubbles Garden.
- Sunday, May 12: Special Mother’s Day Brunch bubbles tasting at Raven & Rose and The Benson Hotel.
The full schedule of events, ranging from casual tastings to ticketed dinners and pairings, can be found at www.pdxbubbles.com. Cheer's, y'all.