Our expert panel of judges offered up pairing menus for four of our top wines.
1. Randy Goodman
2009 Cameron Vineyards Pinot Noir $25
Tasting Notes: The ’09 bottling from John Paul at Cameron Winery shows the trademarks of his winemaking style—a perfect balance between earth and fruit. Aromas of Bing cherry and volcanic soils mix with flavors of ripe blackberry, cinnamon, and just a touch of good funk, making this wine easy and fun to drink.
- Smoked salmon crostini, chickpeas, olivada
- Pork chops, grilled cherries, farro, summer squash
- Strawberry crêpes with mint and lemon curd
2. Erica Landon
2009 Andrew Rich Prelude Pinot Noir $22
Tasting Notes: This bottle is Andrew Rich’s flagship pinot noir, a barrel selection from his cellar. The wine shows poise and complexity that reflect his (rather mysterious) personality, with layers of black cherries, plum, and a hint of spice.
- Veal sweetbreads, poached plum, sautéed kale
- Beef osso bucco, Yukon gold purée, baby carrots
- Blackberry financier, blackberry compote, crème fraîche
3. Jessica Pierce
2008 Brooks Ara Riesling $25
Tasting Notes: This year is all about Oregon riesling, and the refreshing offerings from Brooks wines are outstanding. This wine bursts with flavors of juicy white peach and savory herbs, with a touch of stony minerality and ripping acidity to finish.
- Field greens salad with cucumber, radish, and fresh herbs
- Wood-fired ruby trout, Bavarian spiced
- Rainbow carrots sautéed with mint and butter
4. Todd Steele
2009 Matello Souris Pinot Noir $19
Tasting Notes: Marcus Goodfellow’s wines have increasingly become more complete, with growing complexity in glasses that are often stunning. The Matello Souris is a perfect example of this: its layers of red cherries, plum, freshly turned earth, and hints of flowers create a perfect companion to Oregon’s fall flavors.
- Smoked trout and PBR-braised pork belly, warm potatoes, cucumbers
- Confit of duck leg with spinach and lentil salad
- Crémeux de Bourgogne cheese, candied cherries, truffle salted pistachios