Portland's Late Summer Stone Fruit Pastries
Before the pumpkin spice onslaught begins, send off summer with a swan-song slice of indulgent stone fruit pastries.
The weather may have dipped into scarf-and-sweater territory this week, but don't start ordering chai lattes and apple cider donuts just yet. The markets are still piled high with melons, U-pick farms are still berry central, and stone fruits—from cherries and plums to apricots and peaches—are still at their peak for a few more weeks.
So before fall graces us with rainy days and pumpkin-spiced everything, we're putting the spotlight on summer ingredients to make sure you get your fill before the season's over. We recently profiled 20+ refreshing melon dishes at Portland restaurants, and now we've rounded up and handful of local bakeries' spins on stone fruit pastries, pies, and tarts:
- Lauretta Jean’s is offering an array of handmade stone fruit pies—like sour cherry, apricot streusel, peach raspberry, and a drool-worthy whiskey peach. 3402 SE Division
- Nuvrei’s seasonal specials include peach and cheese danish, blackberry croissants topped with fresh peaches, and stone fruit macarons. 404 NW 10th
- St. Honore’s delectable tarte abricot amande—buttery tarts with almond filling and sliced apricots—are a classic French sweet that oozes summer. 3333 SE Division and 2334 NW Thurman
- Frice Pastry is offering a peach mousse with raspberries and a from-scratch nectarine pastry, and in honor of their 6-month anniversary on September 15, the North Williams bakery will feature a variety of cakes at 50% savings throughout the month of September. Vanilla chiffon cake topped with peaches and cream finished with a whipped white chocolate ganache? Yes, please. 4082 N Williams Ave
- Two Tarts Bakery is offering classic Parisian macarons with a twist—filling the light-as-air almond cookies with decadent peach buttercream. 2309 NW Kearney
- Kim Boyce’s Bakeshop puts the swagger in whole-grain sweets, but this summer she’s knocking out a series of straight-up addictions. It would be criminal to let the summer pass without a peach hand pie, its crackling pastry jaws clamped around voluptuous, fire-singed fruit chunks. 5351 NE Sandy Blvd
- Back to Eden’s summer pick is a gorgeous vegan and gluten-free blackberry nectarine pie, and if you’re more of a cupcake person, you've gotta scoop up an apricot vanilla cupcake! 2217 NE Alberta