Brush Up on Your Baking Skills with a Portland Pro
Little T American Baker's Tim Healea will teach an Easter Cooking class on April 15—and we're sharing his rhubarb yogurt muffin recipe to ring in spring.
Spring has arrived, and with it the promise of seasonal ingredients—from rhubarb to nettles to early strawberries—hiding like jewel-toned Easter eggs at farmers markets around Portland. At his landmark bakery Little T Baker, master bread and pastry pro Tim Healea rings in the months of blossoms and even-more-mercurial-than-usual weather with a handful of treats that make the most of the market's April bounty.
Best of all, he's happy to share his secrets.
Twelve lucky bakers will be able to learn tips from Healea himself—who helped cement Portland’s reputation as an artisan baking city—at a special Easter baking class at EVOE at Pastaworks at 3735 SE Hawthorne. On Tuesday, April 15 from 6:30-9 pm, home pastry dabblers will whip up Hot Cross Buns, rhubarb yogurt muffins, strawberry brown butter financier cakes, and Easter candy brownies. The class—plus plenty of goodies to take home—will set you back $45, and you can RSVP by calling 503-232-1010.
Can't make it to the class? We've got the recipe for Healea's rhubarb yogurt muffins right here—or you can stop by one of Little T's two locations, at 2600 SE Division and in downtown Portland's Union Way, to let Healea and his team do the work for you.
Little T's rhubarb yogurt muffins
(makes 12-14 small muffins)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) melted butter
1 cup yogurt (Healea uses Nancy’s whole milk honey yogurt)
1½ cups (7 oz) rhubarb, diced 1/4” thick
- Place cupcake liners in a standard 12-piece muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, toss rhubarb with sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg thoroughly, then whisk in butter, then yogurt.
- Gently stir dry ingredients into liquid mixture just until incorporated.
- Fold in sugared rhubarb.
- Portion with a spoon or ice cream scoop into paper liners and sprinkle with a mixture of ground cinnamon and granulated sugar.
- Bake at 375° for approximately 20 min, until golden brown and set.