Pacific Northwest Olive Oil Conference
The first-ever Cool Climate Extra Virgin Olive Oil event brings together foodies and farmers for a weekend devoted to all things olive
For one weekend in April, regional olive oil producers and fanatics will gather at the Oregon Olive Mill at Red Ridge Farms in Dayton to delve into one of the Northwest's newest crops. From insider tips for growing and pressing olives in the Pacific Northwestern climate to the benefits extra virgin olive oil can have on our health, the conference will provide an all-encompassing overview of olives from plant to oil.
On Saturday, April 26, local farmers and research experts will discuss the tree-to-table process, share round-table techniques to work with our cool climate agronomy, offer pruning demonstrations, and chat about grove management.
Sunday, April 27 will feature consumer experts and food writers discussing topics such as the labels and origins behind olive oils and the growing olive oil culture in Oregon. Some of the industry experts will include:
- Oregon Olive Mill's owners the Durant Family, producing the only estate-milled extra virgin olive oil in Oregon
- Samantha Dorsey, Farm manager at McEvoy Ranch, growing 80 acres of organic olive trees in Petaluma, California
- Tom Vail, of the olive-growing Calamity Hill Vineyard & Farm in Amity, Oregon
- Dan Flynn, UC Davis Olive Center
- Mark Gibbs, Oregon Vineyard Supply Crop Consultant
- Nancy Harmon Jenkins, food writer, author, olive oil and Mediterranean diet expert
- Jim Dixon, Portland-based specialty food expert of RealGoodFood.com
Sunday will end with a wine and social hour at Durant Vineyards Tasting Room, followed by a five-course dinner prepared by Chef Vitaly Paley. For the full conference agenda, visit Oregon Olive Mill’s website.
When: April 26, 8:30 am–5:15 pm and April 27, 9 am–7 pm.
Where: Oregon Olive Mill, 5510 NE Breyman Orchards Rd in Dayton, Oregon
How Much: One-day passes $60, Weekend passes (including Sunday Dinner) $150, Dinner Only tickets $50. Purchase tickets at Eventbrite.