Portland Gluten Free Food & Drink Guide
From 100% gluten-free restaurants, breweries, and bakeries to fine dining destinations with dedicated GF menus, we've rounded up our go-to spots for gluten-free dining.
Think it’s difficult to find gluten-free dining in Portland? Think again! Our city is home to over a dozen 100% gluten-free eateries serving everything from chicken Alfredo to cinnamon rolls. Many other local restaurants, while lacking a dedicated gluten-free kitchen, still offer a plethora of options for the gluten-averse. Best of all, most of these eateries also cater to other special diets, including vegan and Paleo. Whether you’re hungry for deep-dish pizza, sushi, empanadas, or donuts, our list has your dining options covered.
- Teote is a 100% gluten-free Venezuelan kitchen. The menu features house-made arepas (corn cakes) and other dishes inspired by Latin American street food.
- The Brooklyn House is a 100% gluten-free kitchen serving European-style comfort food—think pork goulash, beef rouladen, and veggie paella—made from locally sourced ingredients.
- Ground Breaker Brewing is a 100% gluten-free brewery (formerly known as Harvester) with a gluten-free gastropub located next door. It’s Portland’s first gluten-free pub!
- Harlow is a 100% gluten-free & vegetarian health food haven featuring juices and smoothies, macrobiotic bowls, cocktails, brunch, and more.
- Cultured Caveman is Portland’s only 100% grain-free, Paleo restaurant, serving dishes like mini heart & liver meatloaves and bacon almond dates.
- Verde Cocina is a 100% gluten free Mexican restaurant and PSU Farmers Market staple, dedicated to serving fresh, healthy meals made from Northwest farm-to-fork ingredients.
- A N D Café is a charming vegetarian brunch spot where everything, including their signature waffles and meatloaf benedict, can be made vegan and gluten-free.
- Block's is a family-friendly cafe with East Coast-inspired recipes and tons of gluten free options (think yogurt pancakes, gravlax sandwiches on housemade gluten-free dark bread, gluten-free latkes, and plenty of GF cookies and pastries.
- Mi Mero Mole serves traditional Mexico City-style dishes made from scratch. The menu centers on a rotating array of meat- or veggie-loaded guisados (home-style stews), all of which are gluten-free.
- Dick’s Kitchen prides itself on its variety of burgers, from grass-fed beef to salmon, tempeh, and water buffalo. Any burger may be ordered on a gluten-free bun or on a grain-free Paleo plate.
- Papa G’s Deli is 100% vegan, 100% organic, and about 80% gluten-free. The menu comprises sandwiches, salads, tacos, and veggie-loaded tempeh and tofu bowls.
- Besaw's is one of Portland’s oldest restaurants, with a history dating back over a century, but that hasn’t stopped them from keeping with current dietary needs; expect an array of gluten-free options for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Tin Shed offers a variety of gluten-free dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, including an assortment of salads, sandwiches, and scrambles.
- White Owl Social Club offers gluten-free and vegan versions of deliciously greasy bar fare—think moonbrine pickle fritters and jalapeno cheese fries—alongside fresh salads and burgers.
- Andina is a Peruvian restaurant and tapas bar with an extensive special menu of gluten-free tapas, lunch and dinner entrees, and dessert.
- Departure is an ambitious Asian fusion restaurant headed by a grain-free chef. The restaurant has a special gluten-free menu of sushi, dim sum, work-fired dishes and more, as well as one of the best views in town.
- Natural Selection serves European-style vegetarian fare in four course, fixed-price dinners. A gluten-free option is always available for all four courses.
- Cultured Caveman is Portland’s only 100% grain-free, Paleo food cart, serving dishes like mini heart & liver meatloaves and bacon almond dates at three locations across the city.
- OmNom is a 100% gluten-free breakfast cart specializing in sweet and savory Belgian waffles.
- Heart Cart is a vegan and gluten-free food cart featuring globally-inspired health food, such as grilled veggie bowls and nori wraps.
- Grilled Cheese Grill offers Bob’s Red Mill wheat-free bread on any of its childhood nostalgia-inducing sandwiches at all three of its carts.
- Kure Juice Bar has a mammoth list of gluten-free and vegan juices, smoothies, acai bowls, and Pixie Retreat lunch items.
- Perierra Creperie offers gluten-free and vegan crepes made with rice and chickpea flour.
- El Pilón is a 100% gluten-free Columbian food cart specializing in pan-fried arepas and empanadas.
- Garden Monsters serves made-to-order entrée-sized salads made from fresh, local ingredients. The entire menu is gluten-free except for the wraps, vegan chicken, and crunchy toppings.
- Sonny Bowl is a vegan and gluten-free cart serving up macrobiotic bowls, salads, and smoothies made with fresh, wholesome ingredients.
- Mississippi Pizza Pub offers a certified gluten-free artisan pizza crust on any 8” or 12” pie, and a vegan gluten-free crust on 16” pies.
- Via Chicago offers deep-dish Chicago-style pizza, including a gluten-free slice of the day. Gluten-free crust is also available on any whole pie.
- Sizzle Pie offers a gluten-free crust for any 12” or 18” pie.
- Hotlips Pizza offers a 10” gluten-free crust made of corn and almond.
- OPA Pizzeria offers a gluten-free crust on any 12” pie.
- Pizzicato has a list of all its gluten-free ingredients available online, including a complete list of ingredients in its gluten-free crust.
- Bushwhacker Cider produces small batches of cider on location, plus guest cider taps and over 280 bottled ciders.
- Reverend Nat's Hard Cider has a public taproom that features rotating taster trays, glass pours, and taproom-only specials.
- Harvester Brewing, as mentioned above, is an 100% gluten-free brewery attached to a 100% gluten-free gastropub.
- Back to Eden Bakery boasts a 100% gluten-free and vegan array of breakfast pastries, quiches, sandwich wraps, desserts, ice cream sundaes, and more.
- Petunia's Pies & Pastries, another 100% gluten-free and vegan bakery, offers babycakes, whoopie pies, cheesecakes, and other sweet treats, as well as a savory lunch menu.
- Tula Bakery & Café is a 100% gluten-free kitchen serving a full line of sweet and savory baked goods, breads, soups, salads, and paninis.
- Kyra's Bake Shop is a 100% gluten-free bakery run by Kyra Bussanich, three-time winner of Food Networks’ Cupcake Wars.
- New Cascadia Traditional Bakery is a 100% gluten-free bakery specializing in artisan cakes, cookies, breads, pizzas, and sandwiches.
- Happy Campers is a Tigard-based 100% gluten-free bakery that supplies many of the eateries listed above. Happy Camper bread comes in a variety of flavors, all of which are free of wheat, dairy, egg, soy, sugar, rice, and grains.
- Brazi Bites are locally made gluten-free pão de queijo (Brazilian cheese bread bites) found in the freezer section of local grocery stores.
- Bob's Red Mill offers an extensive array of gluten-free flours, grains, baking mixes, muesli, proteins, and more. Products are available in retail stores throughout the city, as well as their mill & café in Milkwaukie.
This is by no means a definitive list, but it will surely get you started on your gluten-free food adventures. Who did we leave out? Share your favorite gluten-free dining destinations with us in the comments below!