Pitchers to the People!
Hosting a shindig? Consider a batch of these classic cocktails to quench your crowd.
THE GOLD RUSH
- 2½ cups bourbon
- 1 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice (no pulp)
- 1 cup honey syrup (mix three parts honey with one part hot water, and stir to combine)
- Fully combine lemon juice and honey syrup, add bourbon, and serve over ice.
— Evan Zimmerman (The Woodsman, Ava Gene’s)
THE DON-DON PUNCH
- 1 quart water
- 5 bags Earl Grey tea
- 3 grapefruits
- 12 ounces superfine sugar
- 1 750 ml bottle Smith & Cross Rum
- 8 oz VSOP Cognac
- 6 oz Luxardo Amaretto di Saschira
- 1 liter ice block
(1) BRING water to just off a boil, add tea bags, and boil for 4 minutes.
(2) SET aside to cool.
(3) SPIRAL PEEL grapefruits into a pitcher, cover with sugar, and let rest for at least one hour to make an oleo saccharum.
(4) ADD 10 ounces fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice.
(5) MIX Smith and Cross rum with VSOP Cognac and Luxardo Amaretto in a large bowl, then add cooled tea.
(6) ADD block of ice, allow to dilute and chill for 15 minutes, and serve.
(7) REMOVE ice block after 45 minutes.
—Douglas Derrick (Nostrana)
- 10 limes
- 2 oranges
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 16 oz Bacardi 8
- 8 oz Tawny Port
- 1 cup lime juice
- 1½ oz Angostura bitters
- ½ nutmeg, grated
- 18 oz strong black tea
(1) BREW three batches of tea: 2 bags per 6 ounces water, five minutes each.
(2) SPIRAL peel limes and oranges, cover with sugar, and let rest for at least one hour to make an oleo saccharum.
(3) COMBINE all components and mix, adjusting with more lime juice if necessary.
(4) REMOVE lime and orange peels and serve in cups over 3 or 4 cubes of ice.
—Michael Shea (Rum Club)