HOLIDAY EATS CHEAT SHEET
Super Bowl Game Day Grub Guide
We've compiled a list of Portland's go-to eateries to watch the big game in 2013, as well as a few offering take-out specials for your at-home fiesta.
Believe it or not, Super Bowl Sunday is the year's second biggest eating holiday—surpassed only by the all-American spreads of Thanksgiving—so it makes sense that a few restaurants throughout Portland are getting in on the edible action. It doesn't matter whose colors you're wearing or if you're just watching for the commercials, you still have to eat when February 3rd rolls around, and here are some primo places to do just that:
Heading out to watch Super Bowl XLVII? (Remember, kick-off is scheduled for 3:30 pm)
- EaT: An Oyster Bar will be featuring live music from Reggie Houston's Box of Chocolates and their first Crawfish Boil of the year. Diners will crack down on 2 pounds of the little red guys per order, served with corn, potatoes, and mushrooms in Cajun seasoning.
- The game will be projected at Bunk Bar side-by-side with New Orleans-inspired food and drink specials like Chef Nick Wood's Gumbo and three Po’ Boy specials—Fried Red Fish, BBQ Shrimp, and Sloppy Roast Beef.
- Bazi Bierbrasserie will open at 3 pm for a Super Happy Hour, featuring the game on a 114" HDTV screen, swag giveaways, $3-8 food speicals, $3.50 wells, $3 Stella tall boys, $1 off all wine, and $1 off selected beers (over 7 draft beers to choose from). Reservations encouraged: call 503-234-8888.
- Lardo East will show the big game in their (heated!) outdoor tent. They've rented a huge television for the occasion, and will offer a special menu of Super Bowl-inspired bites like smoked pork nachos, Lardo wings, Muffaletta sandwiches, and lamb meatball subs. The eatery will also feature a battle between a San Francisco and Maryland beer.
- Haven't yet had a chance to check out the revamp of Spirit of 77's culinary offerings? Stop in to watch the game (which'll be playing on all screens, naturally) and chow down.
- Trigger will show the game on a big screen and will plate up a special prix fixe menu—unlimited chips, salsa, and queso, plus little smokies, nachos or wings, AND bucket of beer for $30.
- This year, Saraveza bottle shop's annual Meat Raffle falls on Super Bowl Sunday (at half time, specifically). Specialty smoked products from Nueske’s will be raffled off to hungry meat eaters, and 100% of the proceeds will be donated to Fresh Exchange, a program that makes farm-direct produce accessible for those using the Oregon Trail Card.
- Alberta's Radio Room will be broadcasting the game on their large screen along with food and drink specials. Grab a spot early and order up some brunch before kickoff.
- Jenn Louis's Sunshine Tavern will also show the game in addition to an all-day lunch menu.
- Want to rattle mugs and devour the Man Platter of wings, waffle fries, nachos, and more? Buffalo Gap Saloon & Eatery features two floors of 26 HDTVs, VIP rooms with couches, and a banquet hall that accomodates up to 75 people. On top of the accomodations, Coors Light girls will be raffling off game day gear. Pitchers are $7.75 a piece, a discount from regular $10.25.
- For thrill seekers, try your luck at On Deck Bar & Grill, hosting two giveaways: two Blazer tickets at halftime and a longboard at the end of the game. At $12 Bud Light pitchers and $3.75 Widmer pints, you're sure to never go dry.
- Bossanova Ballroom will open its doors, free of charge, at 2:30 p.m. with plenty of nachos and beer.
Throwing your own party?
- Mi Mero Mole is offering a full menu of take-out Super Bowl specials including tamales for $24 per dozen, carnitas with tortillas and salsa, take-and-bake nachos with house-made chips, or good old-fashioned chips and guaq. Full menu available here. Pre-order only by Tuesday, January 29th.
- Double Dragon will be offering 15% off all banh mi catering orders on Super Bowl Sunday. They'll deliver any orders of 15 sandwiches or more—plus they'll be dishing up Duck Wings with tamarind, smoked chilis, and palm sugar gastrique for $1 each. Place orders at least 24 hours in advance here.
- Lardo is offering catering specials for game day, including Muffaletta subs to go (with cured meats from Fino In Fondo Salumeria), flavored chicharones, and a $250 "porchetta party" that can serve twenty people. $75 minimum order for delivery, 15% service charge, and 24 hours notice required.
- Superbowl packages are also available from Fire on the Mountain, ground zero for National Hot Wing Day. On Super Bowl Sunday, FOM's Burnside and Interstate locations will be open for wing-only, take-out-only orders because they go through that many wings. Get those orders in early.
- Oven & Shaker is offering a $125 catered Pizza Party for ten of your sports-loving friends, including four salads and five pizzas (like salami, mushroom fontina, wild fennel sausage and potato). 24 hours notice required.