PLANTWISE: GARDEN EVENTS
Portland's Yard, Garden & Patio Show kicks off spring in the Pacific Northwest!
WHEN: Feb 8–10
COST: Admission is $12 for adults. Check the website for upcoming details on savings coupons.
WHY GO? It's fun, inspiring and supports local nurseries, small businesses and artists. And don't fret if you show up after opening time - the addition of a centrally located, local wine bar/cafe has made it nicer to stay through early evening on Friday and Saturday, when crowds diminish.)
1. Fantastic, free seminars by local and national horticultural and garden design experts. There's a complete schedule so you can plan your day around these free educational seminars.
2. Plant shopping, direct-from-the-vendor, from the Pacific Northwest's best micro-nurseries! Nurseries at this year's Green Market include Dancing Oaks, Edelweiss Perennials, Gossler Farms, Highland Heather, N&M Herb Nursery, Northwest Cactus & Succulents, Rare Plant Research and River Rock Nursery.
3. More than a dozen Cracked Pots artists' booths and displays featuring garden art, lighting, sculpture, garden furniture, and even garments. Artist list can be seen on the YGP's home page, with links.
4. Of course, there's the vast show floor, with over 250 vendors selling products from barbeques, garden art and furniture to gardening books, landscape supplies and even design and landscaping services. Indoor plants include orchids, cactus and succulents and air plants. Outdoor plants range from the latest in new perennial and shrub introductions to dahlias and lilies, bare-root plants, herbs, natives and trees.
5. A relatively new addition to the show is the inspiring "Urban Edible Gardens" section, presenting ideas to maximize space and beauty while growing your own food. Edible gardening expert Vern Nelson will be a featured speaker - not to be missed!
And save the date for the next upcoming flower show: Seattle's Northwest Flower & Garden Show, February 20 - 24, 2013.