Grilled Fennel and Endive Salad with Goat Cheese and Orange-Honey Vinaigrette
Courtesy of Eric Bechard, executive chef, Alberta Street Oyster Bar & Grill. Serves 4-6
For the salad:
3 large fennel bulbs, leafy green tops removed
3 large Belgian endive
1 cup chèvre (goat cheese)
For the vinaigrette:
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp Champagne vinegar
1 tsp honey
1 1/2 tsp chopped, mild herbs (chervil, tarragon and parsley)
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash the fennel and slice crosswise into ¼-inch-thick pieces. Set aside to dry.
2. Wash endive and cut into quarters lengthwise. Wrap in a towel to dry.
3. For the vinaigrette, combine the orange juice, vinegar, honey and herbs in a mixing bowl. Add the oil slowly and whisk until blended.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Brush the fennel and endive with olive oil and place on a hot grill for 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
6. Set on a plate to cool.
7. Place the grilled fennel and endive in a bowl and toss with enough vinaigrette to coat. Crumble the goat cheese over the top.