Grilled Oysters with Spicy Watermelon Gazpacho
Courtesy of Eric Bechard, executive chef, Alberta Street Oyster Bar & Grill. Serves 4-6
1/2 small, seedless watermelon
1 English cucumber, peeled
Juice of 1 lime
1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 dozen oysters (medium in size, about 2-3 inches long)
1 avocado, diced
1/2 bunch chives, finely chopped
Salt to taste
1. Remove the watermelon from the rind and roughly chop the fruit.
2. Cut the peeled cucumber into similarly sized pieces.
3. Place the watermelon and cucumber into a food processor and blend until very smooth.
4. Season the soup with the lime juice, cayenne pepper and salt to taste, then place in the refrigerator.
5. Place the oysters curved side down on a hot grill for about 7 minutes, or until they open (discard those that haven’t opened in a reasonable amount of time).
6. Place on a serving platter.
7. Pour the gazpacho into a serving bowl, top with the avocado and chives and serve with the oysters.