1 lb mixed mushrooms (white button, crimini, porcini, or chanterelles), cleaned and quartered
3 tbsp onion, finely chopped; 1 tbsp shallot, finely chopped; 3 tsp parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp caraway seeds; salt and pepper to taste
1 cup crème fraîche
1½ tsp vinegar
3 tbsp butter
Dried bread crumbs
½ tsp savory or thyme, finely chopped
(1) Melt half of the butter in a skillet.
(2) Sauté onion and shallots in butter over medium heat until soft and golden.
(3) Add remaining half of butter and parsley and cook for 30 seconds to release the parsley’s aroma.
(4) Add mushrooms and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
(5) Add caraway seeds, salt, and pepper.
(6) Cover skillet, reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, until mushrooms are tender.
(7) Add vinegar and crème fraîche and cook gently over medium-low heat for a few minutes.
(8) Season to taste and transfer to a small buttered casserole.
(9) Sprinkle thickly with bread crumbs and bake at 350 degrees for 15–20 minutes, until top is golden brown.
(10) Finish with chopped savory or thyme.